Got an overweight ticket pulling for Amazon Relay

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by prostartom, Jan 21, 2022.

1. prostartom

prostartom Light Load Member

Jun 20, 2014
    What do you mean by "flies out from under the truck"? Literally the rear axle broke away from the frame, or just that the innards grenades from to much weight?

My drive axle is rated at 23,000 lbs, I don't believe having an extra 2,840 lbs on it put me at the brink of disaster, but obviously it's not something one would want to do everyday.

bumper Jack and Socal Xpress Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I didn’t see the results of that disaster, but I’m guessing it broke loose. That stretch of road then was particularly rough, and what was left of the truck went to another terminal.

prostartom Thanks this.
  4. kidnkorner

kidnkorner Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2016
    you answered your own question. you also didnt hit the scales before starting your trip. its all on you.

5. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    He said that he knew he would be overweight and knew that the scales would be closed..

Imo, if his company is paying the overweight ticket then that’s the company culture..

Any company I ever worked for the driver paid for his stupidity..

6. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Why would Amazon rework it? Did they even know the carrier would show up with a single axle truck?

7. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Your only chance for getting it reduced is to go to court. You decided to roll with an overweight load and you got popped, it is as simple as that. The driver is always responsible.

8. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    The 20 years I was a company driver we never had to go to court and never lost sleep over an overweight ticket. We absolutely were never asked by the company to plead guilty for them. We turned tickets in to them and they payed them. We as employees went on with life. It was their truck, their load, their responsibility. The policy was to stuff them till they were full top to bottom front to back. Get our money’s worth outta that truck everyday. We’d be 4-10,000 over every load. Tires are heavy.

RubyEagle, prostartom and Val_Caldera Thank this.
  9. Val_Caldera

Val_Caldera Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2021
    TARHEEL
    Rt. 220, North of I-81, VA. Some Small town, Got Loaded with WOOD PLANKS in a 53' Air Ride Dry Van Hooked To a mid 2000 decade Freightshaker Sleeper, 10 wheel, autoshift.
    Load was "weird" till I got to T.A., I-81. Went back to Shipper but they were sealed up.
    Around 38,000 on Drives and steers were about 13k = Bucking Bronco.
    Trailer weight was fine.
    Load went to Reidsville, NC.
    "Cud-uh taken 220, but seemed like a bad idea"(though wooda ben shorter) considering all the Hills and Dales (climbs and drops), so opted for North Side Wytheville (yeah, no Climbs and Drops...) to the former Petro & wait until Scales in NC Shut Down.
    Cruised thru about 0400 after the Thrill Of It All Coming Off The 7 Mile Scare, almost smoked Tractor Brakes a coupla times but Full Jakes Helped (new shoes and fluid plus new muffler bearing).
    Made it safely to Receiver and base.

prostartom Thanks this.
  10. Don379

Don379 Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2021
    How do some people not feel the truck being over weight by 10 tons? I know when my truck is 5 thousand over max weight soon as i pull out of the hole. 10 tons over?! Steering wheel holders i recon

11. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    Just my 2 cents worth coming from somebody that runs fat all the time.....never ever assume a scale is closed ...NEVER...
    I Bet the guy in the scale house was rubbing his hand and licking his lips when you rolled up on his platforms

LoneRanger and Speedy356 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.