Got an overweight ticket pulling for Amazon Relay

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by prostartom, Jan 21, 2022.

1. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    Plus pulling a double axle load with a single. Doesn't help. LOL

Last Call Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bumper Jack

bumper Jack Heavy Load Member

Dec 5, 2021
    Should have just blew the scale. I doubt they even had a chase car. Trucker path is your friend. I had a ticket in that part of the world that was 3 times the cost of yours. The common wealth settled for 500 bucks. Of course the lawyer cost me triple that.

prostartom Thanks this.
  4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Good bet the drive tires were squatting too. Any cop can see that coming.

Last Call Thanks this.
  5. bumper Jack

Dec 5, 2021
    And 73,000 on 4 axles isn’t dangerous, but you probably should have loaded the steer up to about 13,000

6. bumper Jack

Dec 5, 2021
    Just out of curiosity why not register the truck for 69 or 70,000? All you are saving is the $550 a year for the 2290? If you would have done that it would have only been a 3 or 4,000 pound overweight ticket. Just curious if I’m missing something. And under 73k gross MD will allow 22,400 on a single.

MACK E-6 and prostartom Thank this.
  7. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Funniest time we were overweight was We had a stuffed full load of cop car spec Goodyears going up to a TXDPS station in San Marcos and lo and behold that scale was open on I-35. That scale is never open. We were 7,200 and some change over. As the scale trooper was writing down the origin and destination of the load he’s like this address is familiar and he didn’t know what to think of it. So he showed it to the captain in charge who looked at it, smiled and said “looks like our new tires are finally here boys”. He told us get outta here cause they have been waiting for a month to get them in for their fleet. Lol!

8. prostartom

prostartom Light Load Member

Jun 20, 2014
    I was always told we register at 54k to avoid the heavy vehicle use tax so I always figured it was quite expensive. I see now we could easily go up to 65k for only about $350, I thought it was in the thousands of dollars.

54k works for us 99.9% of the time, this is our 1st overweight in a tractor in the 20 years we have owned them so overall we are still saving money. I may go ahead and mention it to the company that maybe we should up the weight but I won't hold my breath.

Funny thing is we leased a used tractor from Penske last year that was registered at 65k. We specifically had in the lease agreement 54k, they then tried to bill us last year for the heavy highway use tax. We had to show them the lease agreement that stated 54k gvw so we wouldn't have to pay for it. I bet someone got chewed out for that mistake.

The company just went ahead and paid the fine so no court for me. I have been running Amazon pretty much nonstop since I got the fine a month ago, no abnormally heavy loads so far.

I did get a load a couple days ago that I was worried about from a Kimberly Clark warehouse near Allentown Pa. It ended up being no heavier than a typical Amazon load.

Val_Caldera and bumper Jack Thank this.
  9. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Penske runs big 35-38,000 single axles on a lot of tractors. Many company's use them down here.

10. prostartom

prostartom Light Load Member

Jun 20, 2014
    Interesting, I don't believe I have ever seen one outside of a yard jockey truck. So are you saying you could legally gross 80k with one of those single axle tractors?

bumper Jack Thanks this.
  11. bumper Jack

Dec 5, 2021
    I’ve never seen a 38,000 pound single. 26,000 is the biggest I’ve seen.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.