Government Vehicles Interstate

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by rollitup1, Sep 23, 2022.

1. rollitup1

rollitup1 Bobtail Member

Sep 23, 2022
    I drove over the road in 2007 for three months. Half of that three months was training and the other half was solo before I quit. I got a local job in 2009 as a garbage/recycle driver and have been working since. My bills are getting too high and I want to work as a truck driver again. As a city worker in Texas I was able to waive the yearly medical card requirement for my CDL.
    What I am wondering is am I able to drive again a big rig if I just get a medical card or do I have to do something with my license to remove what's on the back of my card?

Here is what is on the back of my drivers license

CLASS: A-Comb veh w/ GVWR > 26,000 lbs provided towed veh > 10,001 lbs

REST: P - if CMV, government vehicles interstate

drivers lic.jpg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    @Moose1958 is our 'go to' guy for these questions.

rollitup1 Thanks this.
  4. Sappy4happy

Sappy4happy Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2018
    That’s probably a question to ask your DMV. I’m only guessing, but if you got a current medical card, and changed your license to interstate non excepted it would probably remove that restriction. Once you get your CDL, the only way you can loose it is to not renew it when needed, or have an offense that would cause your CDL to be revoked. Looks like TX changed that restriction to P17 only allowing the use of govt CMV in interstate.

rollitup1 Thanks this.
  5. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Your good OP. Go get a physical and pay your DMV a visit and get all the intrastate restrictions removed. Then come back and see if @Chinatown can help you find a company that will hire you!

rollitup1, Judge, brian991219 and 2 others Thank this.
  6. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    Too easy. Go get a physical. Print the DPS Self-Certification form, fill out your info, select "NON-EXEMPT INTERSTATE," then take it to the local DPS station to have it entered. They will charge you $11 for the replacement license without the restriction, but then you will be good to go. Walk out the door with a paper CDL again, and the new one will come to your mailbox shortly.

rollitup1 Thanks this.
  7. rollitup1

rollitup1 Bobtail Member

Sep 23, 2022
    Great, thanks everyone!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.