1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    There is no such as trucking GPS. When we ran team, we used a laptop off a 300 W inverter (Not as powerful in those days) and a Rand GPS map that did fairly well provided with physical addresses of where you are picking up and going.

Ultimately from time to time it got us close a block or two at most and sometimes put us into private or commercial property where 18 wheelers do not belong due to slow upgrading if at all.

We use it second hand, never first line where is information. Internet was still dailup. Although I had one of the first sprint Cell cards for laptop internet (Horrendously expensive, 400 for the thing and something like a dollar for every 50kb, so a web page could bury you financially. Used one time.)

This information is seriously dated, around the 1998 era. If I was to go today in a semi, it's going to be with my own go pro and my own Garmin to go with the stuffed briefcase. And the laptop and so on. Smart phone has it all, but it's a crappy 20 dollar unit. I would have to replace that.

If technology was wheels, grandma would be a wagon. But it's a double edged sword. You have the original everything, between your ears. The brain pan. What it contains is pretty important to your success or failure.

Chris_in_CT Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    Husband now has 2 Rands since one decided it liked to freeze up at the least opportune time. I also scope out the route on my laptop using Google maps. Shippers and receivers do not always answer phones to give you directions; some companies give you directions of some sort, but perhaps you are coming from a different way on the road and they don't match. Docks are not always at the main address given, and the Google maps is easier to pinpoint where the check-in is actually at. Rand can't always find an address, Google map it and find a GPS/ longitude/latitude to put in it and most generally it will get you there. Also pay attention to areas that have a creek or stream, or any type of bridge by using Google maps; don't forget railroad tracks too; zoom in and scroll around the area to make sure if you see anything that you need to avoid. Avoid white or gray roads if possible, esp in some of the older areas in the east. It always pays to take a gander at Google maps and see what is involved in getting from Point A to Point B and then you can visualize it better as you go along.

dwalto and Chris_in_CT Thank this.
  4. Chris_in_CT

Chris_in_CT Bobtail Member

Jun 16, 2019
    Connecticut
    Just ordered the 2020 Rand McNally Motor Carrier Atlas! Also looking at the Garmin dezl 780 GPS. It has very good reviews.

Aamcotrans and TROOPER to TRUCKER Thank this.
  5. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    I assume the 7 in the 780 means 7”?

That’s what I just came back to suggest... although my eyes might be a bit older than yours, I am really glad that I spent the extra money for the larger RM unit... it’s on my dash over an arms length away... that couple extra inches in size comes in handy!!!

{insert your own joke there}

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  6. Chris_in_CT

Jun 16, 2019
    Connecticut
    Yep! 7” touchscreen. I’m in no rush to get this since I’ll be with a trainer for a while. I’ll purchase the CB and GPS once I get closer to getting my own truck assigned.

7. Jenn72

Jenn72 Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2019
    You may want to buy a dash cam too.

NavigatorWife and Chris_in_CT Thank this.
  8. Chris_in_CT

Jun 16, 2019
    Connecticut
    A lot of the GPS units have built in dash cams. Thanks for the advice!

9. dwalto

dwalto Light Load Member

Jul 9, 2012
    Greenwood, Indiana
    This is spot on. I always look at google maps satellite image of where I’m going and it saves a lot of headaches.

10. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    large print I hope? its spiral bound and will lay flat.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.