GPS Alternative

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by tow614, Jul 17, 2018.

1. jtaran06

jtaran06 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2007
    western ky

What features? I would like to try. I got a note 9 I run it on. One thing I dont like is smooth animation. This note 9 has 8 gig ram and it's still not smooth like Google maps. It still is laggy when navigating

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Technology hasn't moved since those devices were created.

You mix up the map data with technology.

The older units can use the data that they have today, nothing has changed with the actual data but what has is the forced retirement of the device to market their "better" units.

4. TB John

TB John Company Shill of BYOB & CBD

Dec 28, 2008
    What do you mean the data hasn't changed. The data and the amount changes constantly as new roads are built, roads are widened or realigned, street names are changed etc. Bridges are built, weight limits change, railroad tracks are built, or torn up, or taken out of service. All these effect the data.

5. bomberdual

bomberdual Bobtail Member

Oct 14, 2018
    What happened in this update? did they fix it again?

Looking to do trial runs of both apps. Both seemed solid (CoPilot more users but crappier reviews as of late than smart truck)

6. LiLjohnny5

LiLjohnny5 Bobtail Member

Jul 10, 2018
    DFW, TX
    I use co pilot, smart truck rt2, and Google maps, as of late smart truck has been taking longer routes making you go around the block instead of going straight through, putting me on the wrong side on RR tracks. I like the POI features on it tho, co pilot and Google maps dont have some of those features, co pilot and Google maps are very similar in routing, still keeping my options open

7. jtaran06

Dec 23, 2007
    western ky

Attached Files:

bomberdual Thanks this.
  8. jtaran06

Dec 23, 2007
    western ky

I like gmaps too. If it tells you get off but you know your not supposed to you keep going and it will straighten out. 3 months it hasn't really did me wrong yet. But I just run terminal to terminal so I'm not finding Joe blows tire factory.

9. wheelman666

wheelman666 Medium Load Member

May 9, 2011
    Lake Katrine NY
    I have a note 9. It's not the phone, it's most likely your service that is causing the lack of smooth. I run my app on a tab 2, which is a good step down from the note 9, and it's very smooth.

10. wheelman666

May 9, 2011
    Lake Katrine NY
    Smt2 uses Google maps, copilot does not. So if anything smtr2 would be closer.

11. wheelman666

May 9, 2011
    Lake Katrine NY
    Gmaps also has NO settings for truck restriction, low clearance,over weight, etc.
    Smtr2 has a contract with Gmaps and gets their info from directly. They are the only ones that do.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.