GPS for Oversized loads.

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by BruceWayne911, Oct 25, 2017.

1. BruceWayne911

BruceWayne911 Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2016
    Ohio
    Is their a trucking GPS that lets you program your route turn by turn? Looking to go Oversized and that follows permitted routes.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    This topic (sorta) was discussed in a related thread several months ago. But not sure if I could find it or even what might have been in the thread title.

4. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
  5. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    If you don't ant to read that whole thread (which does have good info) here is the condensed answer:

1. Use your favorite GPS (Rand, Garmin, CoPilot, etc)
    2. Know that you may likely have to put it in car mode to force it down roads that a truck may not normally take, but a permit does.
    3. Spend a bunch of time pre-programming the route using a series of way-points until it matches the permit.
    4. SAVE that trip on the unit after all that work.
    5. There are too many GPS's to list them all. But for me I like to use a full laptop or Windows tablet because it is easier to program using a mouse then little screen phones or tablets. So I use CoPilot Truck version 9B for Windows. They have it for phones and tablets but it is much harder to program permit routes on those versions. (unless it is a full Windows tablet like the Surface or the Transformer.)

tip: Rand and Garmin both have computer programs that can be using for planning and then send the route to the GPS.

Mattflat362 and BruceWayne911 Thank this.
  6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Adjusting your gps parameters for load might help to ensure your travels also.

7. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Will not work. They have to follow a permitted route.

Mattflat362 Thanks this.
  8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    True. And with the amount of short term and long term construction going on everywhere, the route for the same cargo can change from one week to the next, sometimes by a lot. People in the permit routing sections are also known for having outdated information and a condition of inconsistency sometimes so no telling how you may be routed, but regardless, you better run their route in case something were to happen off route.

Mattflat362 Thanks this.
  9. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    I am feeling very very done with O/S loads.....

Just a lot of work for a one man show.......and if not same day or next then I found myself sitting for a day to be sure that I was able to run it.....and no one wanted to pay me for that! LOL.

10. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    It'll give an rough idea of the journey though. And where the permits will steer you.

11. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Not really... Permits will route you on routes like a Non-STAA route to get you around. It all depends on the load dimensions and the area you are routed in to find you a route... things like overhead lines, construction, etc play a part in the routing..

It would be nice to be able to do this, but the GPS will not see the distance over 102" for width for routing... The Map database is not set up for OD loads.

This is what DieselBoss is referring to in posts 3/4

Rand McNally - TripMaker

You build your trip/waypoints here and then you can import the trip to the Rand Device, the x30 and prior models will use the Dock, the x40's/tablets will import via Wi-Fi.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.