GPS for Truckers

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Beanfacekilla, Sep 20, 2006.

1. im6under

im6under Heavy Load Member

Feb 13, 2007
    iowa
    will co-pilot work with a new windows vista laptop??????

I emailed the company a week ago and haven't got any info yet... maybe it got spammified??? but anyone running vista and co-pilot???

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Texas
    No, I have called them and their sales department says that their software is not compatible with Vista, but they are working on it and expect to have a new release in a few weeks.

I will be calling them every couple weeks to get an update though unless I see it changed on their website. I had originally tried to email sales a couple times, but they never responded, so I broke down and called them on Friday to get the information.

4. Orcfood

Orcfood Bobtail Member

Dec 19, 2006
    I'm very happy with my TomTom. I still need to check my route before I set out for low clearance or truck routes, due to the fact that it was not made with truckers in mind. Be sure to always take what it tells you to do as a
    suggestion not as a command, because it has no idea you are in a big truck.
    In most cases it is very accurate, but some times the address range is off.
    I mostly like it for instant trip planning, time and distance is helpful to have at a glance. It's a nice tool because you always have a running map where ever you may be.

I think of it as one of the many things I use on a daily basis to make my job
    a little bit easier.

5. Cerberus101

Cerberus101 Heavy Load Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Georgia
    i saw it the other day, it is a bit pricey, T/A or the flying J, it's been a long last few days, now has a tomtom like device set up for big trucks. it runs the routes for that we can drive and actually has up to date accident reports on hwys and will give you an alternative route. it sits in your window or dash and gives turn by turn directions and a pretty decent size screen in color to boot. but like i said it is pricey, try 999$ but it is new so the price will probably drop here soon. personally i use the old fashioned map and cell phone to get where i am going and it works fine to me besides i would probably get my butt kicked if i bought another toy right now...............

6. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Texas
    Now, that sounds like a "must have" toy there :biggrin_25514:

7. Cerberus101

Cerberus101 Heavy Load Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Georgia
    i would like to have it and might try to pull the ole ask for forgivness instead of permission thing but then i would probably be banned to the couch.........................

8. Cabcon

Cabcon Bobtail Member

Apr 30, 2007
    So, the 7500 does have trucking features for sure? i.e. weight restriction, routing, et cetera?

9. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Bobtail Member

I'm pretty sure it uses the same routing data as all the other Garmins - so no, it probably doesn't know about weight and height restrictions.

10. Cabcon

Cabcon Bobtail Member

Apr 30, 2007
    Thanks. :biggrin_25520:

11. leannamarie

leannamarie "California Girl"

This is the kind of product that I was looking for. We kept saying that there should be a market for something like this. Something portable, that truckers can take from truck to truck. Something easy to use that doesn't require a lot of fancy equipment.

We bought my boyfriend a Garmin C340. It was a lot cheaper than I thought it would be. It was only $349, and had we gotten the C330, it would have been even cheaper. The difference between them is one just tells you to turn, and the other one tells you the street name to turn on. The Garmins do have the setting for Truck, so hopefully it will work out well for him. The Garmins are pretty user friendly, which is extremely important, the boyfriend is NOT computer literate at all! I made him play with the unit for the last few days while he was home and we were driving around. I wanted him to get really comfortable with it. As broke as we are right now, this seemed like a pretty important expense. He spent a lot of time driving around looking for little things. He can read a map fine, but it is those in-town places, like a truck wash, that was really frustrating for him.

I still need to address the speaker issue. Does anyone maybe have an answer for me? The voice seems too quiet to be heard easily over the roar of the truck. Can the unit be outfitted with an external speaker?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.