GPS Size: 5" vs 7"

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by BlueThunderr, Mar 4, 2019.

which size ?

1. 7"

11 vote(s)
    55.0%
  2. 5"

9 vote(s)
    45.0%
  1. BlueThunderr

BlueThunderr Medium Load Member

Sep 11, 2012
    looking for people who have used both sizes ? Is the 7" that much better and worth it over a 5" ? I don't want to waste money...I have the money for a 7"...Should I just get the 7" ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Yes!!!

I have used both my iPhone with CoPilot and RM 740... personally, I would never go smaller than the 7” for my primary GPS Tool... it’s probably setting off your windshield, well over an arm’s length distance away from your eyes... and, although you would probably never, that extra real estate is nice if you are searching on the fly for that Truck Stop that is close to your time to shut down for the night.

If you have the extra $100, it’s well worth it.

just my two cents

fss99701 Thanks this.
  4. mitrucker

mitrucker Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Lapeer, MI
    I prefer the five inch variety. It doesn’t clutter up my view.

MidWest_MacDaddy and Dan.S Thank this.
  5. fss99701

fss99701 Medium Load Member

Feb 14, 2019
    none of your business
    I run a Garmin 780 it's the 7-inch model totally awesome.
    When I first started driving I bought a TomTom car GPS 5 inch think I had it a week before I literally threw it in the trash can.

Still use Google maps satellite view helps out a lot on seeing how to get into places that you're delivering to before you get there.

MidWest_MacDaddy Thanks this.
  6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    The larger screens are much preferred in my view. They are harder on suction mounts and require certain tips for mounting and protecting from falling when the suction does fail. I've posted my tip for this elsewhere in another thread, long ago. I have mine (Cascadia) mounted all the way in the top left and mini-bungied to the trim to hold it there if it loses suction. When mounted, you cannot even see the support bungie, and it's easy to reach, and the visor falls down beside it leaving it still fully visible [as long as the visor is slid over to the right position].

I've used the smaller ones in the beginning but will never go back to one except as an emergency backup in case the bigger one craps out.

MidWest_MacDaddy and BlueThunderr Thank this.
  7. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    My wife would say 7".

-Owner of a 5".

8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    So. Do her twice and say "there's 10, no extra charge"

9. fss99701

fss99701 Medium Load Member

Feb 14, 2019
    none of your business
    I've always had either a Garmin 770 or a 780 both of them 7 and have never had it come off the windshield not once even on rough roads. Where people screw up is they don't clean their windshield and you have to clean the suction cup every once in awhile make sure you wet it before You Stick it to the windshield absolutely no problem if you do that first.

Trucking in Tennessee Thanks this.
  10. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    She'd laugh me out of the room. Lolol

11. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Be patient. Mine stayed in place about 18 months before it turned loose. I did all the pre-cleaning and other common sense things, too. Then it never held as well after that no matter what I did. BTW Armor-All protectant wipes are pretty good about reviving worn out suction cups. Clean them, let them soak for a while, then remove all the excess and wipe dry with a clean cloth.

Mine will typically stay in place 3-4 months now, depending on how bad roads get. I've also found that fluctuations of extreme cold temps (like well below 0 Fahrenheit) and significant altitude changes will help loosen them up over time. It helps if you can put them in place at a higher altitude, then lower altitudes help increase the suction.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.