GPS thoughts - Garmin and Magellan

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by samurai, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Tricky Rick

Tricky Rick Light Load Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Northwest Mississippi
    I used an old Magellan 4040, designed for cars, in my big truck for the last 4 years. I also use my paper Atlas and my Android phone navigation. I have a Garmin Nuvi 1260T for my car. Both work well, but not perfect. Common sense rules. I seldom had to go over 800 miles from home, so coast to coast may be a little different.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sln8969

sln8969 Bobtail Member

Mar 5, 2012
    fresno, Ca.
    how much do they cost?

4. Oi!

Oi! Road Train Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    Rand McNally 710, which passed away last week. Been running old school with the paper atlas, seem to have more fun looking for mom and pop truck stops instead of just looking through the list of Pilots and Flying J's on the old GPS.

5. fairshake

fairshake Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Chickenville, BFE
    Ive used the Rand Macnally ones, I like the software, but the hardware is not up to spec. 4 of my friends all had the speaker go out within a month of owning the 700/710 models. Mine died after a year. Im using a old Garmin trucker 465, which has a few less features, but overall is "ok" for truckers. The garmin has one thing that just really makes it shine, the Lane Assist, you will see all of the lanes in your direction and it will highlight the lanes you will need to be in miles before you get to it. Honestly overall the Rand Mcnally destroys the Garmin software, but the lane assist function makes it very worthwhile, the rand mcnally that I used just show a directional arrow and no detailed lane info. In heavy traffic/big city areas this can make things go very smooth to just grab a lane and stay in it.

A gripe about the Garmin is mine will just reboot randomly, usually during a recalculation. One good thing is the Garmin boot up time is way faster than the RM.

Everett Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.