GPS tracker embedded in your electronic BOL.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by REEFERman450, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Magoo1968

Magoo1968 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2021
    St Malo mb
    Parents can track their kids phone easily so I assume there’s a way you can track your company phones indiscreetly. Ask your phone provider maybe

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Slowpoke KW

Slowpoke KW Road Train Member

Dec 7, 2015
    OK
    I worked for a small semi-private fleet (6 full time 1parttime road trucks) we had dedicated runs from a customer to get us in the area to pickup our material but there was times we didn’t need more material but had to take the outbound load since we were dedicated so the boss got us setup with a brokerage that was local to us but they wanted a call from us when we got to our other customer and when we were leaving there and arriving/departing their customer when we dropped the trailer at our yard (where our shuttle driver would deliver it) and every 2 hours on the road. Us drivers half ### humored them for a little while. One saturday morning they called me wanting to know where their load was (it was 5 minutes late) they come unglued when I told them d####d if know, same thing happened the next weekend to another driver. The broker called our boss Monday, our boss told them I only hire professional adults, I will go a month or two without talking to them (true) and he’s not going to require us to make all their check calls, after that we only hauled a few loads for them but found a broker that had better paying dedicated loads.

The moral of this story is..... if you can’t trust your drivers, you need to hire better drivers.

feldsforever and Aamcotrans Thank this.
  4. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    I can always use find my iPhone feature and see where my devices are without alerting my devices.

Not sure how it’s done with androids.

but tracking your equipment I’m not sure about the laws regarding businesses.

Magoo1968 Thanks this.
  5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Simply pull up your ELD logs. If it's a compliant log it will get within 1/2 mile (or so) on engine start, duty status change and every 60 minutes of driving time.
    And even if it's your equipment, tracking an employee (more than required for the ELD) might not be legal. Your very first step is talk to an employment lawyer on what you can do in your state, and every state your driver is in.

feldsforever Thanks this.
  6. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    My company tablet has a program called SOTI MOBICONTROL. It give the company control of their tables from their office. Not sure how money there are paying for the program. They can update apps and they put apps we can use on the tables. We have some apps like Netflix and Hulu we can used when parked to watch a movie on the company tablet. When we start driving those app disappear and we can only use KeepTruckin and GPS navigation. I think it has GPS tracking. We use KeepTruckin ELD app so that already has GPS tracking also.

Since it the company tablet they have full wireless control of the tables. They can update apps and delete apps or add apps of they want. They have unlimited data on the tables so drivers can watch Netflix or Amazon Prime or get on internet with Google Chrome when parked. They have app we can use the camera and scan BOL or paid parking receipts. They put CAT scale Weight My Truck app. So we can scale out truck from cab and it sends driver copy or scale tick plus send them a copy and it billed to company fuel card.

Might be more then someone need just for GPS tracking if it's company tables or phone and I have no idea what they pay for the setup.

7. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    You can always microchip them like dogs but there is most likely a shortage on those as well.

8. TankerP

TankerP Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Holding the steering wheel
    Just google “company phone tracking app”

9. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    I like the advice about conferring with a lawyer before you do anything. Also, I was looking a getting a new camera system for my truck. I want one with 3 cameras so I get both front and the 2 sides. Anyway, several of the camera systems I looked at were intended toward fleet management and 'headquarters' could see where each truck is and even see almost real time dash cam footage. I though it kinda neat, then my S.O. and kids could always see where I am and even watch some of the scenery I'm driving through. Point is, if you need/want to add or update your fleet's camera systems (I'm not talking about driver facing cams!), which for liability purposes isn't a bad idea, you'd also pick up the capability you are referring to. Just a thought.

10. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    Why don't you buy a satellite from a Government Surplus Store.. then you can track them..
    Or have a company party ruffy your drives then put a tracking device in them and you can track them 24/7...
    Glad I don't work for you

11. Aamcotrans

Aamcotrans Road Train Member

May 24, 2016
    Strasburg, Va
    If the phone belongs to you then log on to your cell provider and you can easily see where it is.
    However, as a previous poster stated, wanting to “covertly” track anyone is creepy. It doesn’t make you look like a bad person, it just solidifies the fact that you are..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.