Grain hauling

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by I love tequila, Aug 17, 2019.

1. I love tequila

I love tequila Light Load Member

Sep 10, 2018
    How would someone get hired on at a farm or ranch hauling grain? Does it require a cdl because some places don't but idk the rules concerning that? Would the equipment be older? Would they have straight truck type trucks too? Does most pay in cash or on payroll? Any help would appreciated...

2. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    OH Kruse feed milling. Go to a company that does grain....Just look it up for your area.

3. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I think that may vary some from state to state.
    I think in NM you had to have a restricted farm license or a class b or something, you couldn't to the best of my knowledge just have a regular operators license.
    As far as getting the job and how that pays, just ask the farmer, and pay varies widely from region to region, some big Kansas farms pays as good as some high end jobs with full benefits.
    There is a big magazine, but twice as big as a normal one. I want to say farm and ranch journal, but may be wrong, that has farm jobs always listed in it.

4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    On vacation
    Here we go again......

kemosabi49, Cattleman84 and bzinger Thank this.
  5. I love tequila

Sep 10, 2018
    What do u mean? I asked a legitimate question... I had an idea and decided to ask a question... Quit being a smarta$$ and either leave the thread or offer advice

6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    On vacation
    All you do is post ideas and then ask if they can pay you in cash.

7. I love tequila

Sep 10, 2018
    I actually joined this forum to read answers to the thread posts because i like reading about the topics i post while some of the threads are some of my plans for somewhat seasonal employment... I have plans for alot of things i post about...

8. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Light Load Member

Jul 31, 2019
    Liability wise, these days hiring anyone to drive a truck on state or federal highways would want someone to have a CDL. If they ever got in to a bad accident the ranch or farm would get destroyed by lawyers.

Also, I really doubt anyone is gonna want to pay cash unless you are just helping out a load or 2 here and there.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  9. fishonron

fishonron Light Load Member

Jul 25, 2017
    North Central Kansas
    Talking to a local farmer would be your best bet for most of your questions.

I can tell you this though, hauling grain from the field to the local elevator won't pay you any more than if you were working at the local quicky mart unless you had some percentage claim to that particular crop you're hauling.

Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  10. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I was using my truck, but I always made more hauling out of the field to the mill or elevator, than I did on the road after harvest.

Idahojoel Thanks this.
  • Draft saved Draft deleted