Grain Hopper O/O Pay Per Load?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Fronningen, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Fronningen

Fronningen Bobtail Member

Aug 15, 2017
    Battle Lake, MN
    I am considering hauling wheat for a privately owned elevator and I am curious as to how to calculate a fair rate. I would be using his hopper trailer. What would be the best way to calculate costs? And is it best to bill per load or per mile?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    So a power only job? Using your own numbers, or his? What do you expect the avg length of haul to be? And the average unload / load times?

Cottonmouth85 Thanks this.
  4. Fronningen

Fronningen Bobtail Member

Aug 15, 2017
    Battle Lake, MN
    Yes, a power only job. The average haul would be 50 miles round trip, at about 100 minutes per load.

5. WHY NOT

WHY NOT Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2015
    Gain pays by the bushel, So it depends how much you can haul just like anything else there tends to be a going rate for the area. Then just figure in your fuel milage maintenance etc etc. If you get $.20 a bu and can haul 850 bu of wheat (60 lbs per bu) then you will get $170.00 per load, then calculate out to $1.70 every mile, loaded or unloaded. Prices will vary depending on location distance and what you are hauling and where too.

6. Cottonmouth85

Cottonmouth85 Bad Influence

May 3, 2012
    Floresville, Tx
    It's hopper work. Price it on the ton, load it like a rail car. An hour and a half on a 50 mile round trip it will not be, unless things are running slicker than snot on a marble. Trailer cost will depend on y'alls agreement but should also be on a very low percentage, especially if you're running your numbers.

wore out Thanks this.
  7. 04 LowMax

04 LowMax Medium Load Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Alberta
    There are some other questions to be answered before you decide a rate. Is it an elevator to elevator trip? Or picking up from farms, then into the elevator? Is there any waiting time at either end? Hard to get paid for waiting time with grain, but it sure makes a difference on what you'll make at the end of the day. Are there any scales along your route, or mobile dot guys with scales? If so, then you won't want to be loading it " like a rail car". I personally think your best bet is to figure how much an hour you need to make with your truck, then take a realistic look at how long a load is going to take and figure it out from there. Like cottonmouth said, your not going to do a round trip in 1.5 hr even if there's no waiting time. Probably more like 2.5 is my guess. Oh and if you're delivering to a feed mill or a feed lot, you can be looking at lots of "free" waiting time. Good luck!

wore out and Cottonmouth85 Thank this.
  8. Diesel Dan 92

Diesel Dan 92 Light Load Member

Nov 27, 2015
    Local guy here has hoppers and hires power to pull them.

I know a guy that did it he said he averaged about $2 a mile.

Broker man charges 20% to use his trailers he finds the loads.

9. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    I'm betting your rate will be laughed at. The elevator already has the rate they pay. You can laugh at it, but guys break their neck to get it. We just let em have it

Cottonmouth85 Thanks this.
  10. Diesel Dan 92

Diesel Dan 92 Light Load Member

Nov 27, 2015
    Also this ^

There's a going rate per bushel from most every facility to whichever one it's going to.

11. cjb logistics

cjb logistics Heavy Load Member

Aug 13, 2016
    Liberal Ks
    Wore out was right, hopper rates are a joke. Hauling wheat currently 440 miles I get .95 mile, or .50 bushel. Rates suck.
    I lease one of my hoppers for 800 month, insurance and maintenance on lessee.
    Know another guys leasing hoppers for 1200.00 a month.
    180.00 mile round trip here pays .10 bushel, I will not touch it, and don't how some do.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.