Great Plains Transport, Mapleton ND

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by InterstateDublin, Nov 9, 2019.

1. InterstateDublin

InterstateDublin Bobtail Member

May 24, 2018
    Alright so coming up on a year with GPT... first question is always, hows the money. Well, spread over the course of 47 weeks, my average take home before tax deductions has been about $1600 weekly. Now keep in mind I said average, and take into account that I haven’t been home since EASTER... that’s right, almost 8 months without a single day off or a 34 reset. Now, this is partially by choice... I put in for hometime twice and both times dispatch wasn’t getting me home in time for planned event until to late so just stayed on the road stacking my cash. The trucks... range between 2015-2017 Volvo, Cascadia and T680’s... autos and manual depending on availability. Truck cost, $700-$750 a week, for 2 to 3 years and no balloon. Fixed expenses come out to roughly $1600 a week. Revenue is pretty decent considering market, being between $4k and $6.5k a week, figure fuel governed at 68 mph at about $1400 a week. So $3k between fuel and fixed expenses. Now, some of the things that irk me personally. Maintenance account is $150 a week, your money in an escrow... you stop at TA and get an oil change, $350... GPT is going to upcharge that and charge you roughly an extra 18%, so you paid $405 for that oil change (roughing it, to tired for exact math) and they made $55 on your oil change. I just had to replace a turbo tube, went from about $1400 to right at $1700 it cost me. Now I pay for all maintenance and repairs on my credit card, 7% interest is cheaper when paying it off within 2 months. Next thing, expect to run very tight schedules, I mean to the point of sitting behind wheel ready to push on duty the minute your 10 is up, same at end of 30 to drive, and setting alarm for 9.5 hours while maintaining your 70 hour clock. They do NOT do 34 resets. They do not allow personal conveyance. You’ll expect between 3200 to 3400 miles weekly @ 68 mph. Dispatch can come off as rude and questioning, though they do not micromanage, I’ve gone an entire month with no more communication than loads being sent to me and me sending in BOLs. Now, why I am going to be leaving at the end of my 1 year contract... the owner Mike Holland is a douche who acts like a 13 year old kid. Try to talk to him about something that bugs you and he shakes his head and purses his lips. Never had been late for a load, get a load and send in multiple messages over 3 days that needs to reschedule not possible to make appointment, they don’t reschedule, get hit for a $500 late fee and they charge me the $500. Owner simply tells me “welcome to owning a business.” Contract says able to use truck for Non-GPT with accepted insurance and a 24 hour notice... when I ask what’s considered acceptable insurance and I’m giving a notice, told absolutely not. Mike Holland will call and send emails to you trying to bully you into accepting and takings loads that pay less than $1.10 a mile going from Texas to California (he finally gave up with me) and tries to make it like forced dispatch. Now... if you can deal with all that, it is a place to make money while paying off a truck to own in 2-3 years and I’ve met multiple people who paid off their trucks. Most left right after they paid them off, a few have stayed. Now, for those interested in making decent money as a company driver and saving $8-$12k to buy a truck from a dealership, they do offer a $1250 a week salary paid even on weeks off. A few drivers I know stay out 3 months then take off 2 paid weeks. Overall, this being my 3rd lease year total divided by 3 companies, I give them 3 of 5 stars... would be 2 of 5 but they do have some great staff.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Something wrong here your appx$1600 a week is very low.
    Your fuel cost is very high.
    The maintaince thing as explained is terrible.
    Guy on a LP running the way you say you run. Should be taking home at least $2-2200 a week pretty consistant. Finish up and get the hell outta there. Your in the wrong place and getting hosed.

4. Driver Eight

Driver Eight Light Load Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Certainly glad to be reading this, as I am considering them. But I have money for a down payment at a dealer instead. Don’t know how that makes a difference though. Upcharging sounds barbaric.

5. Driver Eight

Oct 26, 2012
    And fwiw, are there any different stories from other leased on drivers at GPT? Have the ones that stay after they complete lease making better money than OP? I spoke on this forum to another leased GPT driver, and he said his rates were pretty good. Although he went out of business with a high repairs bill etc.

While Loadstar, Mercer are a consideration, I still like the idea of getting dispatched while learning how to run my truck in a basic sense first before jumping into the deep end with brokers and agents. GPT would appear to be one of those decent places to do that if the rates were on point. To explain where I coming from, I’m researching every available option, and I like these refer companies Holland and GPT. For reasons OP states.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  6. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Look at the freight base in the red river valley...its potatoes and sugar.
    I grew up there and trucking companies there just dont last .
    They get ya out of there and keep you out hauling broker freight which at the moment isnt doing well .
    I'd pass .

Driver Eight Thanks this.
  7. Driver Eight

Oct 26, 2012
    I hear you. I’m leaning toward pass. Just love the way they run is all, so not letting go yet 100%, till Im 100% sure. Funny thing, while I took the potato loads out of Grand Forks, Mostly they came out of Treasure Valley in Idaho, at least for my runs. Colorado less so, but as well.

bzinger Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.