Great work Dallas/Ft Worth ! ( almost)

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by weirdpuckett, Jan 19, 2019.

1. weirdpuckett

weirdpuckett Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2010
    I couldnt help noticing the beautiful job that Dallas /Ft Worth has done in re- working the hwy and interstate systems there! Good job! But, as a devout and opinionated Truck Driver that I am ( with tremendous zeal and consistancy) I have to point out a glaring "flaw" that seems prevailent in ALL of tge configurations that have now beautifully manifested there.

The thing is, if you look at the nature of the ramps that qualify as "stilted" or, lifted high into the skylines , and they have created many, many of them in a abundance of locations there, you will notice that there is extremely limited room outside of the white lines........the place not designed for the " traveled" portions of all of these new roads.......
    I believe that this is a hidden bullet of sorts..........a problem not yet fully realized and I believe that there is a certain condition that , according to Mr Murphy and His law, will at some future point in time, will arise ......and when it does, an ill - tasting revelation will be on the tongues of many a motorist there.......in many locales simultaneously......
    What I see is that IF and WHEN an ice storm were to hit that metro, think about those ramps......sitting up in the air like that with virtually NO SHOULDER !......This has the potential to cause major blockages EVERYWHERE as these raised and narrow roads are quite prone to icing and STAYING iced.....how would emergency vehicles arrive up on one if the circumstance called for it? How will wreckers remove an even slightly jacknifed truck from up there??please tell me that they installed HEATING ELEMENTS under these .......anyone else SEE this potential issue?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. npok

npok Light Load Member

Sep 26, 2015
    The only thing I've ever seen any city do is to get the salt/sand trucks out spreading before the storm hits.

weirdpuckett Thanks this.
  4. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    By the time DFW gets done with all of their road construction, the population will double and they'll have have to tear it all up and start new construction projects.

5. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    It’s true that flyovers are well-loved here. Easy to build.

It’s also true that EFFECTIVE de-icing is now carried out by semi-trailer tankers.

Note too that Ranger Hill out west on IH20 has been removed. Gigantic earth-moving, the sort that built the Interstates in the first place. Takes me back fifty-plus years.

Anyone remember Ohio Torches? You missed those little flames in the dark and you drove right off the paved road. Back then the drop-off was less than a foot (unlike today), but it was quite a wake-up.

Ice storms that shut Ranger Hill severely disrupted national traffic.

Commercial traffic past D/FW hasn’t been a problem (lane capacity) since the IH20/IH30 split was moved from east Dallas in to west Fort Worth by 1974.

IH30 has been rebuilt from downtown Fort Worth to downtown Dallas, but I doubt that the sections before and after that ever will be.

The downtown Dallas mixmaster will always be slow.

IH-820 & US-183 are mainly re-done. So the three main lanes East-West across the MetroHex are great today. As one is always screwed North-South. (Same with Houston).

Ranger Hill changes and modern de-icing mean ice storm problems will mainly be hours, not days, as the rest of the E-W system isn’t 1961 anymore.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  6. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    You haven’t been driving very long have you? lol

I’ve watched that nightmare of a ramp getting on 45 south from 20 west turn into an ice rink. With trucks and cars stuck on it, going nowhere.

When that place freezes over. I just stay parked. Too #### many people from Michigan that think snow = ice = not a problem.

FYI half of Michigan moved there during that last downturn. Have they left yet?

7. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    a couple of those skyramps you have to keep your eyes open for aircraft .... never thought about ice .. gotta be a mess

weirdpuckett Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I feel the same way, if they had shoulders... well people will use them. Not necessarily for the purpose they are intended for.

The last time I come through Dallas Fort Worth with FFE, I was off I-35 E onto I-30 W via a flyover ramp that had a S inside of it so that it will get to I-30 in a organized way, no shoulders.

In that S there developed due to the physics of my tractor trailer room for a car to fit on my left. And boom two teens in a black convertable madza zipped into that spot next to the middle of my 53 foot trailer at 60+ determined to cut me off and get ahead or die trying. I was doing about 35.

Of course the S went away fast leaving the idiot teens with no place to go but under my trailer which will kill them easily.

What I did was aim that Century towards the right hand retaining wall outside of my windshield which provided me a view of the skyline that high up. It was a very unnatural view and something that if I don't fix will either kill the stupid teenagers or kill me. Either on impact with the wall or after we crashed through and plummet to the ground some 70 feet below and buildings with people inside of them.

That bought the madza just enough room to squeeze past my tractor to freedom. I got a pair of middle fingers for it.

This was Summer of 2001. I hope those two idiots have had a nice future that I risk my own to give to them.

If there were shoulders on those ramps I bet the people will just use one or both of them to flow around big rigs on those ramps because they are impatient and stupid.

What those two teens don't know is (Or care really but should) is two things. First I came really close to making a royal mess of FFE's tractor trailer, load and myself and killing people on the ground to boot. And second, next time that happened I will not do that again. They will get either crushed under the trailer or into the back of my tractor with the same result. OR not be on that ramp at all. Bypass the whole city if possible.

Slowmover1 Thanks this.
  9. 88228822

88228822 Heavy Load Member

Sep 26, 2018
    the locals stay home during winter weather

10. Bill51

Bill51 Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2015
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.