Greatwide

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by BigDawg40, Oct 8, 2016.

1. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    So the broker takes 20%, if not more, then the company gets 25%, so that leaves you with maybe 60% ( you're bad at math if you think that's wrong) of the original billed amount the customer is billed. Where can I sign up!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I booked a load through a Great Wide agent a last year and the guy asked me how happy I was with my current carrier,.. asked if I was interested in belonging to a carrier with dedicated consistent freight.

So out of curiosity I went inside and listened to his speech. After gong over everything he was quoting me $1.70 mi to my truck and that was with me using my own trailer,.. not theirs. The load I had just booked I managed to get roughly $1.90mi if I remember correctly. So I politely declined.

I'm on an 80/20 split with my current carrier doing load board loads and so far for 2017 I am still averaging $2.39 mi to my truck after my carrier gets his cut. I failed to see where Great Wide has anything to offer me.

I hear guys happy about $1.20mi running coast to coast. More power to you if you are happy with that. I was just as ignorant when I first started.

Hurst

Sonic1000, RubyEagle, 77fib77 and 2 others Thank this.
  4. DDlighttruck

DDlighttruck Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2015
    It's rhetorical but how are you making money at $1.20 a mile?
    Idiots

Hurst and JimmyWells Thank this.
  5. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Not very much thats for sure.

Hurst

DDlighttruck Thanks this.
  6. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    Some places mix that up with $1 fuel.

7. Xhiz

Xhiz Light Load Member

Jul 9, 2017
    Called negotiate, if if it don't work don't take it. The broker only takes what you allow

8. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    Have fun making everybody else money.

JimmyWells Thanks this.
  9. SouthwestVeas

SouthwestVeas Bobtail Member

Jan 14, 2015
    Las Vegas
    The fuel is deducted from settlement.. They give you a comdata card for fuel, however the comdata card is not "wide open" to just fuel an unlimited amount. They load your available fuel limit on the card according to the load. Meaning if a load is going 1000 miles, they may say the available fuel limit for the load is $500.. (i'm just using this as an example).. If for some reason, you need more fuel money loaded on your card, you simply call into the corporate office if you're running Central Dispatch and they'll load more money onto your comdata card for fuel.

They don't care if you pay out of pocket for fuel, its not uncommon. However they use the FuelBook App for fuel discounts and you can get some really great discounts when using that app. They give you a code to put in the app and their fuel network discounts show the pump price vs what you're actually pay. You can sort locations by cheapest, distance, etc.. So there are times when the pump price may say $2.54 a gallon but through Fuel Book you will only pay $2.05 a gallon.. The money from the fuel discounts will be refunded and added to your weekly settlements, which will show and be given back to you at the end of the week.

Remember, you will pay the actual pump price up front, so for an example lets your truck gets 6mpg and to run 1000 miles, it will take you 170 gallons to run these miles, at $2.54 a gallon it cost you $432.00 up front out of the $500 loaded to your card. But by using the Fuel Book app, you got the discount for $2.05 and actually paid $348.50 for the 170 gallons.. The $83 you saved will be given back to you on your end settlement for this trip at the end of the week.

Just plan accordingly, figure out your sweet spot to maximize the best fuel mileage possible. You're paying for the fuel so the less you put the nozzle in the tanks, the more profitable you'll be.

Hope this helps and much success!

RubyEagle Thanks this.
  10. Big Herb The Trucker

Big Herb The Trucker Light Load Member

Jun 10, 2017
    NYC
    What carrier are you with? How much time do tou need as an O/O to qualify? Do you use outside loadboards like DA etc....

11. Sonic1000

Sonic1000 Bobtail Member

Jul 3, 2018
    Very useful thanks.. Im leasing so this help.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.