Greetings

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Coriolanus, Aug 23, 2021.

1. Coriolanus

Coriolanus Bobtail Member

Aug 23, 2021
    Mordor, USA
    Hello everyone,

I've been browsing the forums the last couple of weeks because I have decided that I would eventually like to upgrade my class B (P and S endorsements) to an A (H, N and T endorsements). I plan to get my permit in January (before new regulations kick in) and hopefully get into a company training program by spring. I don't know how difficult it is to get into a program from a good company, so my fingers are crossed. If anyone has any knowledge of this, please let me know.

I have two goals for the next year: upgrade my CDL and move out of NYC. My ideal destination is Utah, but Texas would work too. I've been looking at a couple of companies that have training programs in SLC or thereabouts including XPO and Schneider, and a few others that I've heard good things about, but don't have Utah training centers, Millis, YRC, Western Dairy Transport and Maverick.

I've also looked at the various types of trucking available and have eliminated certain things. Flatbeds and dangerous chemicals are out. No teams work. I don't have any family, so OTR is fine, but I don't like being micromanaged or have supervisors/dispatch on my back all the time (I used to do local deliveries for Walmart and had to deal with that).

Also, how important are TWIC and FAST cards for truckers?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Coriolanus and Six9GS Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    FFE is headquartered in Texas and you would train in Burns Harbor, Indiana.
    Texas residents train in Lancaster, Texas and other states residents train in Burns Harbor, Indiana.
    @Jenn72 drives for FFE.
    Then you can change your address to a Texas address through Escapees RV Club. Your address will be in Livingston, Texas if you go through Escapees.
    ~
    1. Driving Academy - FFE Transportation
      Frozen Food Express - Refrigerated Transportation Solutions For Over 65 Years
      FFE Transportation Services, Inc. offers company sponsored training to candidates without a CDL-A or professional driving experience. FFE is the largest nationwide LTL temperature-controlled transportation providers in North America. We understand that our success starts with the Driver.
    [​IMG].[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
    Jenn72 and Coriolanus Thank this.
  5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Escapees lets members register about anything as an RV.
    One good benefit is Escapees has a mail service and can hold your mail or forward it anywhere you want.
    [​IMG]

Coriolanus Thanks this.
  6. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    I went to the Swift Academy in Phoenix. But, they also have a school in Salt Lake City. The Swift Terminal in West Valley, a suburb of Salt Lake City, is one of my favorite terminals.
    You can call Swift recruiters to get more info and get the ball rolling if you want to go with Swift. I recommend them, they have done well by me and I think a really good place to get a start. I went through a gal in Phoenix named Debbie.
    If you have any Swift related questions, just ask. No guarantees I'll have an answer, but I'll try to help if I can.
    BTW, if you are a Veteran they have some special and different arrangements than non-vets.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  7. Coriolanus

Coriolanus Bobtail Member

Aug 23, 2021
    Mordor, USA
    Thank you both for the information.

@Chinatown: I have heard of Swift of course, but what I heard was a very mixed bag. But I will look into them and FFE.

@Six9GS: How is the atmosphere where you work? Are you constantly being 'checked on' by your dispatcher, or do they not bother you as long as you make your pick ups and deliveries on time without incident?

8. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    I don't have a problem with my driver leader constantly checking in on me. As long as I'm basically doing what I need to be doing. The couple of times I was behind schedule they have called me to see what's going on. But, my impression of those calls were more of to see if they can do anything to assist than to fuss that I was running behind. And, my driver leader does call me on occasion to check in and see how I'm doing. But, the calls are about support and not about riding my butt for anything. The only phone call I remember ever getting that I felt had a negative vibe to it was when, on my third day as a solo driver, I had a preventable (backing into a spot at a truck stop I hit the truck beside me and caused some minor damage). My driver leader was just making it clear what I did wasn't good and I needed to do better. I didn't think it inappropriate and, it wasn't too harsh or out of bounds for the circumstances.
    IDK, I have a good, friendly relationship with the folks I work for. When my driver leader calls me we usually yak for 30 to 45 minutes about kids, weather, Mondays, etc. That said, I'm a good driver with a good safety attitude and record. I'm competent and get my loads picked up and delivered on time unless something beyond my control interferes and then I communicate what's going on. I usually accept the loads they give me and if I don't I have a reason and let them know why. So, they really don't have any reason to fuss at me about anything.

Coriolanus Thanks this.
  9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    If you decide to look at Swift Refrigerated more closely; tell the recruiter you'd like to train in Salt Lake City, Utah because there's a refrigerated terminal there and you also plan to move there soon.
    ~
    Swift Refrigerated Terminal
    5175 W 2100 S, West Valley City, UT 841

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
    Coriolanus Thanks this.
  10. Jenn72

Jenn72 Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2019
    Hi, my husband and I drive for FFE. We started out in Texas doing Linehaul (OTR drop and hook). Now we work out of their NJ terminal running the New England states.

FFE's school is in Lancaster, TX (Dallas). Rookie drivers start out at $0.50 a mile. Linehaul is drop and hook, terminal to terminal. No touch.

If you would like more info let me know.

Coriolanus Thanks this.
  11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Do you mean Burns Harbor, IN cdl school?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.