Greyhound Drivers........

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by bigike, Dec 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonny1

Jonny1 Medium Load Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    There is a former driver posting on Youtube what is like to be a bus driver, and what he went through to get hired. He lasted 9 months this past year, his biggest beef was it looked like he would be on "Extra Board" for ever as routes did not come open very often in the Seattle area. I guess you just sit and wait to be called, you can log into the board online and see where your position is.......but often they jumble it around. You have 2 hours to get to your assigned station when they call. He siad he could never plan anything, as they would call just as he was heading somewhere.

He now works for Grayline hauling cruise passengers to CA from Seattle.

2. shawnbfromjersey

shawnbfromjersey Light Load Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Philadelphia region
    I know that you have to use a logbook and follow dot hours. but what I'm saying is that you can work all your dot hours, there is plenty work you'll never be sitting. and I will greyhound school in Atlantic City sep24 2009. Oh and if it doesn't work out and I hate doing the extra board, then I can drive for one of the hundreds of other motorcoach companies in the north east. like peter-pan bus or coach usa or Boltbus. they are union too and pay well and no extra board and home every night.

3. REDD

REDD The Legend

Jun 29, 2009
    Dueling Banjoville
    I understand your whole post & wish you the best of luck...

I do use all my DOT hours... I seem to be keep plenty of busy...

4. Scuby

Scuby Heavy Load Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I worked for Greyhound as a Terminal Employee from the early 80's to the late 90's. Greyhound drivers were one of the best paid jobs when I started and has gone downhill between the two strikes I've been thru with them.I don't know busy Philly is,but as a newbie driver you can pretty much count on working the Extra Board and if you do get a regular run more than likely it'll be a crappy,low paying run. The area I worked the most was covered by the Los Angeles Ca. Drivers and it was a minium of 5 years before a driver could hold a run and that was a San Diego turnaround. Also if ridership falls below a certain level the newer drivers will be laid off first. Yes you will meet some really bizarre people.

5. FoodStamp

FoodStamp Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Detroit, MI
    Ok, thanks for all the replies. I started lurking around on this board back in April when I was unemployed. I was looking for as much information on trucking companies as I could due to fact I was about enroll in a trucking school to upgrade my CDL B into an CDL A (I use to drive transit buses). But right before I started trucking I was hired by Greyhound.

It just seems that driving big rigs and the dirty dawg are similar (this coming from a person who never drove a big rig so I might be way off). I love driving the open roads, being away from, looking at the beautiful countryside and not having a supervisor standing over my shoulder. Those are the pluses I was thinking about when I was going to start driving big rigs. I like chatting it up with truckers at truck stops or as passengers taking them their oreintations or back home if they quit/ got fired.

Let me just set a few things straight.....

1. Yes, we have to use log books and are subject to the same rules as truckers.

2. 90% of the people on the bus just want to get to point A to point B safely. The other 10% I make sure the sit near the back! Yes, their is a good number of crazy that ride the busses but as long as they aren't bothering anyone else I let sleepings dogs lay.

3. Bus Drivers Do Get Tickets. Mainly for speeding! I saw a post somewhere on this site stating Greyhound will pay any ticket as long as they (the police) don't stop the bus.

4. The schedules are TIGHT. The reason why you see so many busses fly down the highway is because the are more than likely +1 hour late.

5. To the new guy you will start on the extra board and you be on call 24 hours a day (not really but they like to say that). You will have 2 hours to report to the stations but some cities give you 3 hours.

6. Some women on the bus are kind of skanky and easy if you like those types. Take them back to the company paid hotel room.

7. It doesn't take 5 years to get a run depending on what city you want to live in / work out of. I know for a fact right out training you can get a regular run in White River Junction, NH and few other places that no one wants to live in. No offense to the people inthe great state of NH.

6. FoodStamp

FoodStamp Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Detroit, MI
    Peter Pan and Bolt are owned and operated buy Greyhound. So is Trailways, Americanos, Cuceros and many other busses you see rolling around. And if they don't own a company out right they a percentage of it.

I had my trainning up in Reno back in May and was kind of fun. The instructors all had about 20, 25, or 30 years experince under their belts driving for Greyhound. They knew their stuff and taught everyone to the best of their abilites. They served a cold breakfast with fruits, cereal, yogurt and microwaveable breakfast sandwiches. All the lunches were catered and pretty darn good.

First 2 days is filling out a ton of paperwork. Later during week 2 they start showing a bunch of funny videos about sexually harassment ( male-on-male was so funny), handicapped persons and rude customers. LOL just thinking about those videos have me laughing.

Oh yeah, i can't believe how adults in this country can't add fractions! Some people were having hard times with learning log books due to the fact that they were unable to add fractions. I mean WOW! Mr. Obama please give more money to our public schools.

Goodluck brother and the union is very strong but you are not protected until after your 90 days.

Oldpro24 and The Challenger Thank this.
  7. shawnbfromjersey

Jan 25, 2009
    Philadelphia region
    ok I'm now on the train on my way to Philly to meet up with the other new guys who will be going to training in Atlantic City. We are going to take a greyhound bus ride to NY to go over what to bring to school. I'll post back later after the orientation

8. shawnbfromjersey

Jan 25, 2009
    Philadelphia region
    ok we are on our way back from new york. All we did was ride the greyhound from Philly to NY and back and get a tour of NY port authority bus terminal. The NY bus drivers are making good money because there are a whole lot of people taking greyhound and they get paid to sit in trafic. when they go to atlantic city they have to pick up in brooklyn first. and when they go to boston they have to drive through harlem(#### that's a lot of traffic). We are going to training in Richmond VA instead of Atlantic City. I think I'm going to like it. I 'll let everyone know what's going on when I get to school.

9. shawnbfromjersey

Jan 25, 2009
    Philadelphia region
    ok. I'm in Richmond and we have done 3 days of training. I must say I am very impressed with the training. Greyhound has made huge improvements to the hiring process and training. First we completed online courses at home online then we did a few days of training at the terminal which we work. Then out of 3000 applicants only 8 from philly and 2 from DC made it to go to school. there is another school in atlantic city going on too and they have low numbers too. they are making the classes smaller so the instructors can teach better. there are litterly 2 instructors per student and no more than 2 students per bus. a couple of us have there own bus like me, I have the new fancy bus. I drove the bus all day yesterday and today. They teach you so many manuvers and you have a lot of space to work in. I been to two truck driving schools and they where not nearly as profient as Greyhound. And after we are done training here we get more one on one training at our home terminal. and while we are here we are staying at a nice hotel(comfort inn)free beeakfast and lunch and they give you 40 bucks a day on a atm card 3 days worth on day 1(120 bucks) and you are alowed to drink (just not in your room or hotel and need 8 hours rest after). there is a hooters, 3 stripclubs, many bars college town. well i'll let you guys know what's going on in a couple more days. oh did I mention I have a room to myself..lucky me

10. Bushman

Bushman Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2009
    East of the Walbash
    I have always considered Greyhound Drivers better than general truck drivers.
    Allot better.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.