grinding transmission

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by xsetra, Nov 29, 2015.

1. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    You'll be fine

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    The inside circle inside the top is friction material kind of like a car clutch. When it wears out they will start to grind. Just some noise, a little hard on the gears, no short term problem. The three silver circles on top are pins. There are 3 up and 3 down. Some times they brake causing grinding, can prevent engaugement to the next range and in the worst cause jam between ranges.
    If it is only faint grinding and or you can make it stop by shifting at a different RPM, or clutch in, shift N, clutch out clutch in split then shift, type thing I would not worry about it at all. Get money get home.
    If it is hard grinding for and extended time I would empty home in high or fix it there.
    R&R back box and sync. in a day.

truckdad Thanks this.
  4. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I pre select range button. The grinding starts as soon as I shift out of gear until the pin engages for high range. About the time it takes to take out of 10th and move shift tower to put into 11th gear. The grinding stops when the pin engages. It only grinds while range shifting low to high.
    IF I was empty I would just run empty. I have a load on now I deliver in the morning 30 miles. I have committed to loads all week.
    Cheaper to cancel than break down. I don't like cancelling on a load after I sign rate confirmation.

5. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Sometimes all the friction material is gone as if the bonding agent failed. Those grind a lot and that noise is eating up the $450 auxiliary gear. If the pins break it does not matter what gear range, split,or gear you are in the grind go's on. From your continued explanation I'm with Lester. You might try changing how you shift as maybe change range just before going into 11th and or clutch the range shift.

6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Good news is you shouldn't have to pull the whole tranny for a new synchro. Just the auxillary section.

7. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    BoxCarrKid I have tried to clutch going in and out of range. Letting off accelerator, still have the noise.
    NorthernMechanic I've had the back box rebuilt on a different transmission.. It was a day fix and cost about $900.
    Anyone have a repair shop in the Denver area they can recommend.
    I really hate dropping a load, Maybe I can get it rescheduled. Find out in the morning.
    Thanks for all the replies.

8. IH Truck Guy

IH Truck Guy Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Purgatory
    The friction material is gone.
    When mine was going out,I did 2 more rounds before I put it in the shop.

9. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Mine has been doing that rattling noise since I bought my truck and its been 8 years. Long as I split Hi and Lo at 10 mph and under, it wont rattle or "grind" like you say, but I have a RTO 13.

10. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    The grinding noise is a spinning grind. like cards in a bicycle wheel type.. Not a grumble like low brake pad on a rotor.
    How many miles was 2 more rounds. What damage was done.

11. DaveLV

DaveLV Light Load Member

Sep 18, 2015
    If the syncro breaks. You will know it they will make a noise that makes you stop. If you have a constant noise like a rattle there could be a few other things too. The washers that secure the gears to the main shaft and keep them in position can wear allowing the gear to float. It will move just far enough that the teeth on the sliding clutch still touch. What will eventually happen is the gear will eventually move far enough to allow the sliding clutch to be engaged in 2 gears and effectively destroying almost everything with a tooth on it in the main case. You won't hear it in gear but neutral you will. The synchro usually happens in either low or high range and while it is in gear.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.