Gross weights

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by RollinThunderVet, May 15, 2019.

1. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Most of the trucks I saw in ND running out near Williston were tandem drive trucks with a pusher drop axle and quad axle trailers, either in a tight group or a tridem with a single axle spaced at 10-12 feet ahead or behind. Those could gross 105,500 lbs.

Most 100k+ setups are state-specific and don't usually leave or travel on interstates. I remember seeing a pneumatic A-train setup out near Belle Fourche, SD; tri-drive tractor, tridem trailer, tridem converter, tridem trailer. 16 axle monster. Didn't have a chance to grab a pic though, still regret it.

But then again, apparently SD really loves multi-axle setups:

DSC_4536.jpg

stwik, cke and Cat sdp Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Colorado
    dang

"hello i have a flat"
    which one?

well inside 18th one back, left side. (it's always the inside tire that goes)

4. RollinThunderVet

RollinThunderVet Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Thanks for all the help guys. I did get confirmation. At my current 80k, I can permit up to 93,200. But when i renew my registration, I'm upping those Western states that do allow it for increased weights without permits. Seems like DOT could update the rest of their systems like they are their ELD regulations, but that ain't gonna happen... lol

5. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Never in your life bud. Think of the lost revenue.

6. beastr123

beastr123 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Moose Jaw SK CAN
    you should be able to increase your weights (prorated of course) any time with a phone call and a bank transfer to your home state reg authority.

7. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Lots of those rock trains here in SD, dont get stuck behind one of those in the river hills on highway 44. I have no idea what they're grossing with those things but it's got to be pushing 200k.

stwik and Zeviander Thank this.
  8. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Do enough Googling, and we can find the answer!

Top 10 Heaviest Semi Truck Trailers in the United States and Canada

171,000 lbs max.

Something that kind of says a lot about the trucking industry in Canada, and the situation with poorly trained drivers operating equipment like the guy involved in the Humboldt crash: "B-Trains in Canada require no extra driver training or permit, unlike in the US where you have to have an extra driver training certificate to operate double trailers."

Yet, in the rest of the places mentioned in the US, drivers require special permits to operate vehicles with higher gross combination weights.

cke Thanks this.
  9. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    The 17 axle combo pictured with that article is old news. All the cool people have 20 axles now so gross should be closer to or at 200k.

cke and Zeviander Thank this.
  10. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    You have to care enough to Google it, I just know that's a lot more tires than I ever want to have to pay for.

11. RollinThunderVet

RollinThunderVet Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2014
    So I was under the impression that the max gross you could put on your cab card was equal to the factory ratings of your axles.
    According the the GA DOT- MC officer I spoke to yesterday, you are pretty much only limited by tires and bridge law. He said they dont really look at GVW. He said the factory rating is more of a suggestion... lol
    That would mean with my 5 axle setup I would be able to permit around 100k in GA, vs the 93.2k factory rating.
    Does this track with yall or should this MC enforcer be tested for drugs?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.