Groud through antenna?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by B5love08, Nov 20, 2019.

1. B5love08

B5love08 Light Load Member

Nov 20, 2019
    I just installed a cb in my oshkosh for winter and I'm running into odd situation. So I have antenna mount on mirror with firestick antenna. I disconnected the ground wire from ground and radio still had power I disconnected coax from back of radio and ur turned off what in gods name is going on? Please help

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017

It’s called DC grounding. Basically the antenna is grounded through your mirror mount of your truck frame. The ground runs through the braided side of the coax to your radio, so when you unhook your coax there’s no ground to operate the radio. So the radio shuts off, unless you hook the ground wire back up to the negative side of your battery for the radio to work.

202 and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  4. B5love08

B5love08 Light Load Member

Nov 20, 2019
    Is this normal? Iv never ran into something like this. So should I run the positive and negative to battery still? Do I need the negative wire at all? I also get alot of interference I'm confused about the whole kit in caboodle is blowing my mind

5. Night Stalker10

Jun 26, 2017
    Yes run the negative ground wire from the radio to the frame of your vehicle, or better yet, if you run your power and negative directly to the battery, that can help eliminate the electrical noise to a degree. If you run your power and negative wires to the battery, it is best to put a fuse in the power wire close to the positive post of the battery. (The fuse size depends on what type of radio you are using. If it’s a four watt CB radio, then use a 3 to 5 amp fuse). That way if anything shorted under the dash, your power wire should blow the fuse and not create a fire.

As far as electrical noise that is coming in through your antenna, that is something you just have to live with. A lot of these new LED lights, signs, and stop lights, create a lot of noise as you drive through town.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    202 Thanks this.
  6. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Run pwr to battery and and gnd near the ant but on trk metal..Try to keep it short if possible..No need to go all the way down to frame..
    No clue what kinda machine an oshkosh is but i wouldnt think a radio can still be running w/o a gnd wire attached...Electricial gnd and rf gnd are different....
    Guess i need to do more study if its true that your radio can gnd through ant which doesnt sound right to me..

7. Night Stalker10

Jun 26, 2017
  8. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Tks night stalker..Wasnt really interested in what it was but tks bub..

9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I'm wondering what radio do you have op, and how old is the coax?

slim6596 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.