GRRRRRRRR! werner

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by :kimberlee:, Jan 6, 2010.

1. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Are you saying e-logs never get examined ???

Because that's what you're implying.

I've been checked once in the past 2 years, maybe longer. It would have been the same for you....during Road Check, had you been pulled in.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. phroziac

phroziac Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    Just drove to a hotel during my 10 hour break (it didnt log it) because i woke up at 3am to a -4 degree truck. still havent been reimbursed for the last hotel i stayed in. APU has completely stopped working. Maybe i'll be able to get idle aire tomorrow. hotels are so expensive. I'm going to be writing some letters to upper management. It sure would be nice if i was allowed to idle the truck! Hell, all the other trucks at this hotel are idling and the drivers arent even IN them.

they paid you guys $300 a week? I thought it was $350? When i was at crst it was $350 and i remember, after insurance and taxes it was $270, it costs about $150 to eat on the road, so you were supposed to somehow pay your bills etc on $100 a week. ............................why is that even legal? And thats about what i made most weeks after training too (!) atleast at werner i was able to make money after training.

I was the only one with experience in my orientation here and the girl was going over training pay...and i said, what about me! right in front of everyone she says, "oh, you get 400 a week" everyone else got all pissed off LOL. (only 5 people in the class). Still not enough really, but since they werent taking insurance out of it, it wasnt quite as bad... i take home more than that now though.

4. IROCUBabe

IROCUBabe Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    I was asked to see my liogs about 3 times during my time at Werner, the moment they realized they were e-logs they no longer wanted to have anything to do with it, one even remarked as she glanced at the QC dismissively and waved a hand at it, "oh you can't cheat those."

And I make sure to plan my home time 2 days before Road Check and keep my ### at home till its over. Because I am not a rich girl :biggrin_2559:

5. IROCUBabe

Apr 9, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    When I need a hotel thats the company isnt paying for I go on priceline.com and use the bid feature, I've not paid over 35.00 for a hotel in a long long time using that. I even got a hilton once for 35.00 a night whose normal rooms were 199.95.

When my APU broke at werner they got it fixed really quickly, why can you not idle exactly? If the trucks turning off after five minutes and its a cat engine just pop your foot on the clutch when its flashing the engine light right before auto shutdown. They aren't IN the truck, and I've found idling makes then fix it faster.

6. phroziac

phroziac Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    Werner will reimburse me.

Its a detroit, and on detroits with an apu, you do what you said, and you know what happens? It idles another 5 minutes and shuts down unless you do it again and again and again and again and again and again and again. I like the beancounter mentality that says that drivers cant be trusted to use the apu.

FYI werner flat out told me apu trucks are authorized to idle 10 hours a day just like any other truck. But they also told me the idle shutdown cant be disabled or overridden. The shop could flash the ECM to change it if they wanted, they just wont. Theres nothing i can do about it. I tried throttle sticks on the clutch and throttle, leaving the tractor brakes released (with trailer brakes set), hitting the clutch pedal twice instead of once.........

Ive had problems with the apu for quite a while but usually it will *run*...so i havent made such a big deal about it yet. I tried to get it fixed, but they always have a convenient reason not to. Oh, terminals that'll take days to get to me, werner wont let a shop do it on the weekend when im off, some breakdown people wont authorize me to take it to anyone but carrier, difficult to contact maintenance, etc..

7. IROCUBabe

Apr 9, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    On detriots you have to turn on cruise, hit the speed up button. The engine will rev, hit the speed up till it doesn't gain any more rev. That shuts it down on detriots. It is highly borderline illegal for them to tell you it cannot be shutdown. Its too late for me to try to remember what the heck to link to for proof but trust me it is illegal and another trucking company already got slapped with crap from Wash. state for saying they cannot disable it. It absolutely can be disabled.

8. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Any motor with a idle shut down can be reprogramed to allow it to run more than 5 mins when parked.
    All they have to do is take their computer and hook it up and take the feature out of the program.
    No problem.

9. LindaLou

LindaLou Light Load Member

Jul 23, 2006
    I hope your fuel is well treated. Did you plug in your block heater? I am waiting to hear if your truck started after you shut it off in sub zero temp. Why do you think that the empty trucks in the parking lot were idiling? If that's Weener's postion on the idle thing, they deserve every service call they get for gelled fuel.

Or you could sit til spring thaw....

10. WINGWALKER9000

WINGWALKER9000 Bobtail Member

Jan 7, 2010
    COLORADO
    The Borg reference was for the young,connected driver.....a lot of parallels in the technology.EOBR's are on the way. MADD/PATT,Teamsters are for it ,along with the Big Trucking/medium size companies that need them to keep their insurance rates low. Maybe the new head of the FMCSA, previously of the Maryland Motor Carrier Association,can get the mess straightend away,yet this is a political appointment.....
    I don't see less government intervention,only more,and with companies like ARROW out of buisness in a heartbeat,this is the path of leasty resistance for the government to control the trucker's every move.:biggrin_25515:

11. AfterShock

AfterShock Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Inland Empire, California
    Why is that even legal?
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmm
    I suppose it's legal because you signed the dotted line indicating you agreed with their terms which, I assume, were explained to you prior to signing on.

If a newBee is financially unable to make ends meet on trainee pay, how is that a truckin' company's fault? It's an individual's responsibility to manage their own finances and have enough cash in reserve to get them through the lean times of training. Depending on trainee pay alone to make it through the week out on the road AND pay the bills at home isn't the wisest thing to do, and can easily be distracting during training.

Also, considering that many trainees are totally unaware of what all is involved in truckin', so to are those family members who remain at home, --- alone. And who, by the way, I think have the harder job keeping the home fires burning than the trainee has learning about life on the road.
    If y'all aren't financially sound enough to assure those paying the bills at home have the funds to do so, perhaps y'all should have waited until enough money is saved before taking the plunge into Big truck truckin'.

Blaming a truckin' company for your lack of planning is just an excuse to avoid the truth of the matter. If you were attending college to obtain an education, who would be paying you?
    That's right, nobody. You'd be paying your own tuition. If you found that too expensive to do, --- and pay your other bills as well, would it be the fault of the institute of higher learning? Should a college be paying students to attend classes? What are a student's responsibilities?
    Hello?
    Welcome to the real world.

doubledragon5, LindaLou and luvtheroad Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.