GTS Transport Willowbrook IL - BEWARE!!!

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by timothycoon1982, Jan 22, 2014.

1. slowpoke89

slowpoke89 Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Slowpoke land
    A company that works you like an employee but signs you on as an independent contractor should be illegal. I ran into a situation like that years ago at a job, and back then I was young, naïve and didn't realize what I got into, until the IRS got a whiff of what was going on. Luckily they went after that employer, and they are no longer around. Too bad they can't do that with all these lease-purchase companies, that's another scam in itself.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Florida Playboy

Florida Playboy Road Train Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    It technically is illegal that's why these shady outfits have drivers set up "corporations" so they can get away with paying them on a 1099 and stay one step ahead of the IRS. LOL what a load of bull excrement they fed the OP that it's to "limit his liability" in case of an accident. Isn't that what insurance is for? Get a real job and stay away from these 1099 outlaw outfits.

TruckDuo and timothycoon1982 Thank this.
  4. timothycoon1982

timothycoon1982 Bobtail Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Midland, MI
    This forum serves the purpose of informing other drivers of conditions of companies... you're free to attempt to defend yourself, but the truth about your setup was already stated.

Nobody spoke of you're requirement of forming a corporation until I was face to face with Olga. It is required for all of your drivers, company or otherwise.

Yes, I have been hired over the phone with a job offer letter to follow shortly thereafter.

Your bonuses for passing an inspection vs what you charge your drivers for infractions is ridiculous.(feel free to share all of the fees)

The truck you attempted to place me in had what....800k on it?..physical damage...a non-working engine brake....abs issues...and one other thing that escapes me..

You're requirement of your sub contractor ("company drivers") to establish a corporation in order to get a check from you absolves you of a lot of liability..... just as a rental car company is not held responsible should someone that rented a car caused an accident, neither is a carrier that requires their drivers to operate under a corporation..

You've allegedly been in business for all of ten years... you haven't been caught in your underhanded practices yet..... and no matter how many "walls" (per your explanation of requiring the corporations) you set up that put drivers at risk.....you'll eventually get caught.

5. timothycoon1982

Jan 22, 2014
    Midland, MI
    I was quickly able to find a dedicated turn from Michigan to kc.... 3200 miles a week....home every weekend... .41 a mile....w2.... so I think I'm good :p

6. TruckDuo

TruckDuo Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Timothycoon1982, congratulations on the new job !

And thank you for exposing GTS Transport.

timothycoon1982 Thanks this.
  7. Trick1

Trick1 Bobtail Member

Jan 26, 2014
    Isn't all O/O's paid as a contractor on 1099's? Isn't the SAS score of a company all due to the drivers they hire? If your truck has a problem isn't it the responsibility of the driver to make sure its fixed before driving it? If the company does not have the problem fixed then there is an issue. Seems like a fine for shoddy driving and log book violations is a way to try to keep the drivers straight and a bonus for good DOT inspections a plus? I don't understand the witch hunt here? BEWARE you will be fined for bad and compensated for good? A corporation it is a smart way to minimize your damages for whatever reason they may occur, say a tire blows next to a car and they go off the road and get killed.

8. timothycoon1982

Jan 22, 2014
    Midland, MI
    They require all of their drivers to obtain a corporation....not just o/o's. They are not the type of company that would repair all necessary repairs to make the truck dot compliant..... they had literally just "purchased" (there was a lease agreement in the truck from another carrier they had JUST signed), and claimed that it be 100% road ready..

They run paper logs, and they expect you to cook the books. The fines are more geared towards tickets than logs....despite what the owner stated. So as a refresher, if their truck is messed up somehow and is placed out of service....you pay thousands!! If you pass a full inspection, you get like $50 .... I don't call that being compensated.

A corporation is the only way to go if you're an o/o...... but being hired on as a company driver?.... it's solely to push all of the liability off of the company onto their driver at that point.......which is both illegal, and wrong.

TruckDuo and DriverToBroker Thank this.
  9. PurpleMoose

PurpleMoose Bobtail Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Chicago IL
    I drove for GTS for a while and will say they DID have me set up a corp. which i still use today and they did give me a truck that had a few minor issues but as soon as i told Tom about the issues he fixed them immediately. Also they are VERY good about roadside assistance. on 2 occasions i has issues and on one i paid out of pocket and was reimbursed 12 hours later and the other i just went to the nearest repair shop then called the office and they took care of everything. Now im not going to say that GTS is the holy grail of jobs but i will be totally honest and say that they treated me EXTREMELY well during my time with them and had i not been sickly i would surely have stayed with them. I made great money and Monty kept me rolling.

10. timothycoon1982

Jan 22, 2014
    Midland, MI
    If someone is going to purchase a truck, and has the down payment, then I wouldn't fault anything that they're doing. But to force a "company" driver to establish a corporation to evade taxes and/or potential lawsuits due to driver negligence.....it simply doesn't add up.

11. TruckDuo

TruckDuo Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Joins today and the first post is defending this company.

White_Knuckle_Newbie Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.