Guess im a flatbedder now!

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Simplespeed, Feb 15, 2020.

1. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    How's your dental plan? :O_o_1PIRATES10:

spyder7723, Simplespeed and cke Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Here I thought this was another low bridge post lol

4. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    My first flatbed job was for a local hole in the wall outfit. The owner wasn’t a big spender so needless to say almost all of my equipment was crap I scavenged. I would pick up edge protectors, bungees, chunks of 2x4s, etc. off the ground. If we were lucky enough to come across a 2 inch strap with working ratchet, we would have to hide the #### thing in the cab so it wouldn’t disappear lol. Our chains were so rusty you pretty much had to wear gloves to touch them unless you wanted a tetanus shot.

One time, another driver preloaded a load of landscaping blocks for me and dropped it at the yard. I was shocked to discover 20-something big shiny new edge protectors on it and thought I hit the jackpot. Then I noticed they were all stamped “property of Gypsum Express.” I used the hell out of them.

By the way, I like that racking you put under the trailer. If I get time one of these days I might just try something like that. I’m sure I could find a few things to stash up there lol.

5. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    Now that was funny!

PoleCrusher and magoo68 Thank this.
  6. Simplespeed

Simplespeed Light Load Member

Jun 12, 2013
    I live in Houston. As far as i can tell it seems to stay pretty busy. My dad grossed 89k as a company driver last year doing local only but he is a hustler. He'll drive as far as he can and still go home. He didnt spend a single night on the road and only worked like 3 saturdays. The company I am at seems to have way too many local container drivers that refuse to go more than 30 miles away. So, they are all fighting for the same loads and then by lunch time they are all sitting at the nearest truck stop on standby. Tuesday when I rode with someone we pulled and dropped 2 loads and were done at 11:50am with 33 drivers on standby ahead of us. I called my dad and he said he had his next few loads already lined up. That morning they were all standing outside of the dispatch office waiting for the doors to unlock so they can flood the office fighting for loads. That's just not my style. So, there is plenty of work you just gotta be able to find it and willing to take it out of the immediate area.

Cabinover101 and PoleCrusher Thank this.
  7. Simplespeed

Simplespeed Light Load Member

Jun 12, 2013
    Great ideas but yea, i dont keep the trailer most of the time as far as I know.

PoleCrusher and FoolsErrand Thank this.
  8. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    for a second i thought we might have been coworkers at my first CDL job too.. But that was kyle E. not @Kyle G. LoL.

Where im at now boss owns straps, firehose edge protectors and a set of 4s. The rest is mine and its nearly 3000lbs. Filled my entire pickup bed the time i quit for a few days. I can still scale 48 by the skin of my teeth but rarely find heavy loads being the ones that pay. The gear keeps me moving when my coworkers are stuck waiting on a load.

Kyle G. and PoleCrusher Thank this.
  9. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017

Youre gonna need a headache rack i guess. One of the 379s in our fleet has a gullwing pickup toolbox on the catwalk where a rack would go. Cheap option if you can fit it. I just reread your first post and realize they might be your straps so no leaving them on the winches. Stinks.

Post some pics of your truck. And ask if you can get your own DAT account on their numbers and if theyll let you book your own loads.. 33 guys in front of you is nuts. Screw traffic jam trucking. Grab something and go out a few days, get away from the crowd. Much more peaceful life.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    Isafarmboy and PoleCrusher Thank this.
  10. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    If you’re just pulling company flats locally using only straps I don’t see why you need a Big enclosed headache rack. I would start with the biggest step box you can find. I can fit 19 30’ 4” straps and a 4” hand ratchet in a 12” wide step box, the smallest one made. A9531ACD-1837-45A6-B376-79C6DA338B21.jpeg
    If you still need more storage I would put a logger box behind the sleeper.
    D0D85B1C-6690-49D1-AEC2-9165921F9531.jpeg

11. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    I don’t do flatbed, but do occasionally have to work on the truck on the road. I use oversized pants and shirts with a belt. If you buy from goodwill or Salvation Army for cheap enough, then just toss them when too dirty.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.