Gun control is not the American way!

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Moose Holland, Jun 3, 2022.

1. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    The god thing is bs (more complex than that, see additions)
    The video game thing is bs

Otherwise correct.

Additions,

Changing the locus of community to mean nothing or removing it entirely, this is where god belongs if anywhere, healthy churches serve as safe environments for kids to see adults interact for a different purpose than work, sometimes you might even learn some applicable lessons from a pretty old book, maybe even some morals (however hamfisted)

Greek and latin ceased being taught in schools

Ethics is not taught in schools

Philosophy is not taught in schools, or if it is, only to say "some old dead guys 3000 years ago said some stuff"
    Logic (in the lawyerly sense, fallacies etc) is not taught in schools

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    The problem In the US is whenever common sense guns laws get proposed, a certain interest group starts screaming "they're going to take your guns".

Yes, and we keep cuting funding for programs that could address this.

While gun ownership per household has remained the same, guns per household have gone up and the type of gun has changed dramatically, as has the ease of obtaining guns. At the same time other social factors that could address this cancer have been weakened.

Also, gun bans work.

Northwestern Study Says 1994-2004 Federal Assault Weapons Ban Worked

PA definitely has armed officers in schools.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ting-children-at-a-high-school-attorney-says/

Tldr - officer taunts student and escalates situation, then assaults student, then drags student away from survailence camera, then lies about it. Thus is what armed sros tend to do.

Which would do more good, hiring eight full time armed officers for each school or putting 8 more teacher's into each school? And yes, you would need 8 (at leasr) in order to have two on each access point for all school activities, and we haven't started talking about recess yet.

We can try hardening the schools, but it won't work. If you dont like the research that says as much take a look at:

https://www.amazon.com/HAZARD-Dropshot-Racket-Padded-Rifle/dp/B075JJ56Q7?th=1
    AR in the case, pistol in the pocket, armed guard down.

[QUOTE="rbrtwbstr, post: 11984872, member: 89920"the salesperson was looking over my shoulder telling me how fill out the form. He said, and I quote "if you do that it will throw up red flags and you'll be waiting longer, so do it my way and you'll be fine"[/QUOTE]

This is the problem more than anything. Gun stores ensuring the sale over the law. Individuals and business acting as de facto gun dealers while following none of the laws. People love to point to Chicago and say "gun bans don't work, only criminals end up with guns". Let the DA go after the IN and WI gun stores that are the last point of sale for almost 60% of guns recovered at crime scenes. Actually pull the license of gun dealers who get caught breaking the law. There are a lot of this b.s. we can do, things that more than 70% of Americans agree with, but hardening schools against shooters isn't one of them.

4. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    All of those factors exist in Europe, yet they don't have these types of events multiple times a year.

5. Val_Caldera

Val_Caldera Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2021
    TARHEEL
    From "Common Sense" to C'mon Sense!!

6. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    So what's the solution? I mean plain and simple, 2A isn't getting abolished, and there's going to be no sweeping gun bans. Even if they did manage to ban AR's, rifles account for less than 500 deaths per year, so that doesn't change squat. One side just parrots "ban the guns", but that is literally not going to happen. Not in our lifetimes, and hopefully never. It just isn't. It's a stupid argument borne from fantasy land.

So if there's a way to fix this, at least stay grounded in reality.

7. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    cutting funding?

the gooberment increased funding so much that fathers are no longer needed in the household.

gooberment created this mess. In fact one group in the gooberment did that.

And now they are increasing crime with some DA’s on top of inflation to bankrupt more and more into gooberment payroll.

While companies like black rock are standing buy to snatch up these houses.

Sounds like some of the movies I watched in the 80’s and 90’s when the bad guy was doing just that. Increase crime to decrease property values.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
  8. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    Since we love background checks, they need to be checked out same as any other school official...
    I won't argue unscrupulous gun dealers are an issue

Ok, you pointed out Erie as an example. I've no idea how large the school is, but I'd guess rather large. That in of itself is an issue. These overgrown behemoth schools. Everytime I turn on the news about one of these shootings at schools, it's typically a large school in the suburbs where there may be 3-500 in a graduating class. Smaller schools like there were in the 50's and 60's would be a nice start.
    But I still maintain arming security guards would help. We can protect Pelosi and the others with guns, so why not our children?

9. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    Many states have made it legal for staff to bring firearms into schools. Some colleges allow the students themselves to arm up. Personally, I think the later of the two options is the better of them. I don't want to wait for some loser "security guard" or forever for the police to show up. I want to defend myself immediately when the threat is now. By the time anybody gets there I'd already be dead if caught unarmed.

We have these rights so we can defend ourselves without waiting like a fish in a barrel for "help". It's absolutely undeniable that an attacker will certainly go after an easy victim versus one that will defend/retaliate. If they think for a second there will be bullets coming back at them they'll pick a different target that's instead going to fold like a lawn chair.

10. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    Here’s a theory, police use to have sub stations at schools I went too. It was in gang infested areas too. Yet had any issues.

11. Moose Holland

Moose Holland Light Load Member

Jul 27, 2020
    Of the 86 countries where we have identified mass public shootings, the US ranks 56th per capita in its rate of attacks and 61st in mass public shooting murder rate. Norway, Finland, Switzerland and Russia all have at least 45 percent higher rates of murder from mass public shootings than the United States.

America doesn’t actually lead the world in mass shootings (nypost.com)

America doesn’t actually lead the world in mass shootings
    By John Lott and Michael Weisser

The mainstream media falsely has the world believing that America is the world's "Mass Shooting Queen".

The Myth That the US Leads the World in Mass Shootings - Foundation for Economic Education (fee.org)

by Jon Miltimore

Mass shootings on American soil are just reported much, much more than such events on foreign soil. Since America, with the exception of a few Leftist states and cities, is far more pro-gun than most other nations, citizens (except those poor citizens in those few unhappy anti-gun jurisdictions) in this country have much greater potential to stop random public shooters with guns of their very own. The sad truth is that most mass shootings on American soil occur in these gun-free zones where good folks aren't allowed to carry for shooting back.

When is the last time you heard a CNN report on TV of a mass shooting in Russia, Italy, France, Germany or Norway?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2022
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.