Gunthers Transport,Baltimore,Md

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Mack attack, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Mack attack

Mack attack Light Load Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Baltimore,Md
    I was there last march for a month,couldn't make it only doing 4000 miles a week(team). We were running from Chesapeake,VA to Kentucky,always had to wait for them to find a return load.Or go to Philly and sit all ay till the planes came in. Once sent 2 teams to Houston on Easter weekend,unload on Fri nite,then no load until Mon.Get to shipper and they tell us we could have picked up Sat. They pretty much used our log book for time at shipper receiver than for miles.Another time took load to indy airport,3 hrs to unload. Go across town to get loaded,wait four hrs for that.Hard to make miles as a team doing that.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RightSideSlide

RightSideSlide Light Load Member

Dec 28, 2010
    USA
    Can't seem to find a website for this company. Could you share the link if they have one?
    Also; after viewing that safety record; I have to ask how often do you get instructed to pull around back # the chicken coops? What level inspections have you gotten? How often?
    Does the company run refer, dust box, flatbed? What kind of freight do they haul?
    You mentioned that you run dedicated, ... which leads me to ask you if they have national drivers. If so, do they run all 48? ... and do they ever run out to mountain time zone or west coast?
    You mentioned 3 brothers, ... do they all have different companies?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  4. jellybean

jellybean Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Central MD
    They do not have a website. I posted their safe stat scores earlier in this thread they are some of the worst you'll ever see. I've seen their equipment first hand and I can tell you they're scores are dead on. They don't run all 48 they run northeast/midatlantic and midwest. They pull all dry boxes. One of the brothers owns a tour bus company I'm guessing that's what he was referring to. My advice would be to look elsewhere.

RightSideSlide Thanks this.
  5. Lee Epling

Lee Epling Bobtail Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Charlotte NC
    Okay, I see that I opened a big can of worms. I will do my best to answer your questions. Yes, due to some past experiences with the DOT, the company does not have the best rep. They do not run out to the West Coast, I have been DOT Level 1 once, passed, no ticket. The freight is air freight or dry goods. The loads are picked up and delivered anywhere east of the Mississippi. One brother does trash, the other concrete pump trucks, the one I work for trucking and tour buses. I think that is all your questions. All I was trying to accomplish with this argument was this. I had some past experiences in my life that caused me and my family some hard ache. I did learn from these experiences, and no I am not a convicted felon, that is not where I am going. I just had a lead foot when I was younger, and although I have not had a speeding ticket in the last 7 years. I am still judged by larger companies from doing it when I was a teenager. I am 26 now, and have a family to support. I tried company after company and this was the only place that would even consider giving me a chance. I took it and things have worked out for the best. I just get aggravated when I see guys come in, screw up, and then are angry when they get let go, or disrespect some people, and like I said it just does not work out. Happens every month.

6. Lee Epling

Jul 8, 2010
    Charlotte NC
    I also agree with the gentleman that ran team, the company is not set up for that. They DO NOT HAVE THE MILEAGE. All I was trying to do was say that it works for me, and I have adjusted to the way things work there. That is all.

7. Mack attack

Dec 31, 2009
    Baltimore,Md
    Its funny you say one brother does concrete pump trucks ,that is what I am doing now(an was before I went to Gunthers). I did not know there was a Gunthers in concrete pumping.The concrete pumps next to Gunthers transport is owned by a husband and wife(last name is not Gunther)

8. RightSideSlide

RightSideSlide Light Load Member

Dec 28, 2010
    USA
    No can of worms, & thanx for answering my questions. With the given situation of the company's past records, it probably seems like I'm trying to hit you w/ loaded questions. Understandable, but not the case at all. Certainly have no problem understanding your side of the story, & hope it continues to pan out well for you.

How long have you been working for Gunther Trkg?
    How's their pay scale work?
    Is there a shop # the main terminal? & do you get your truck repairs done there?
    When you were 1st issued the truck, did the shop go over everything b4 sending you out?
    Have you ever had a mechanical issue arise or breakdown while on the road? If so, how was it handled?
    Where's the location of the chicken coop that gave you a level 1 inspection?

Thanx again.

9. Lee Epling

Jul 8, 2010
    Charlotte NC
    I have been here going on 7 months
    pay scale depends on experience, the only experience I had when I got here was local, running a vaccum and concrete trucks. So I started at .28 went to .30 after 60 days.
    Yes, at GT1 in Hanover there is a shop, and that is where they prefer to have repairs/maintenance done at.
    PERRYVILLE, MD. Southbound on 95.
    The truck I was issued, I was asked to do an inspection on it, minor repairs are more or less up to you. ie glad hands, small air leaks, small oil leaks, basically if you can fix it fix it yourself. As long as you know what you are doing. If you do not know your way around a motor, leave it alone, and report it in your Pre Trip, and stay on them to get it fixed. They do not like to listen sometimes, so you have to basically tell em fix it or I am not driving it. Talking about tires. They seem to fail to realize the whole points system that the DOT has in place now. I can say this. I got a ticket one time for a tag being out of date. Not my fault and not something that I look at on every trailor I pick up. I do more so now, but they paid it with no questions asked.
    Breakdowns, flats are simple. Call in, and report the problem, if it is major, then they will either put you up in a hotel for a couple of days until the truck is fixed, or they will have a driver come pick you up and you will ride team until it is fixed. You would prefer the latter of the two, if the wheels are not turning then you are not making money. I think that is all the questions you asked. And to what the guy before you said, I stand corrected. The Gunther's do not own the concrete company, just the land the company is on. It is Trash, Trucking, and Buses. I am sitting in the driver's lounge right now waiting on some paperwork to clear, and to get my order's. You guys keep the sunny side up, and I will catch you on the 1 and 9, not talking about Jersey either. :)

10. Miles_Of_Truckin

Miles_Of_Truckin Light Load Member

Sep 25, 2008
    MD
    Smh, i pulled a 3100 mile week. Home everynight!

11. Mack attack

Dec 31, 2009
    Baltimore,Md
    Lee, did you get your w-2 yet

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.