Guy pulls fifth wheel.

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by 22dragoo, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    That would mean setting the trailer brakes...great way to end up with the shoes froze to the drums in the winter. That also allows someone to cross your airlines or put a dime in your glad hand to keep you there.

Bottom line, there's no sure-fire way to avoid being sabotaged other than to keep a watchful eye on your equipment and catch it before it bites you if it ever does happen.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I know to check those as well, but it has been years since someone tried it.

Ive had drums stick in winter twice. Ball peen time under there.

The sabotages that I worried about are ice picks behind the turbo on the coolant line. I forget exactly what engines involved there but used to check those. The intercooler clamps also. The nut under the block. There are thousands of ways to screw up a big truck. Even more today.

4. sevenmph

sevenmph Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Pinellas county Florida
    So are you the passing truck driver mentioned in the story? I'm guessing disgruntled employee? There's still snow on the ground?

KillingTime Thanks this.
  5. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    I was headed to work @ that specific yard (Poland) when I saw the blaze under the cab of one of the units as I was returning to the front yard from the back - Sunday, very few people in and out so no one was at the yard.

It's been labeled a crime scene.
    And there's got to be multiples of people involved: Two fires, at the same time, at terminals 45 minutes apart.... impossible for one person to do.

Edit: Yeah, we got 10" on 4/1. Mother Nature's April Fools gag.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    sevenmph Thanks this.
  6. OPUS 7

OPUS 7 Road Train Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Does anyone know the penalty for sabotage of a T/T? I was told its a federal offense.
    What if this driver had made it to the interstate,and the trailer came loose and
    killed a family?
    If the offended driver was that mad,he should have waited,and not acted like a puss,
    which is what he is.

Bud A. Thanks this.
  7. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    YSK: If you park your truck properly, it won't be possible for someone to pull the fifth wheel handle and release the lock.

Get in the habit of parking your truck properly. For extra peace of mind, get in the habit of looking at the important bits before driving when you come back to your truck.

Inspection of your truck should not be limited to 'post trip' and 'pre trip'.

In fact, when I park in some neighborhoods for the night, I go so far as to deplete the air in the main and reserve tanks so that a malicious player can't gain entry and release the parking brakes easily.

DoneYourWay and Getsinyourblood Thank this.
  8. windsmith

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    Hell, sometimes I can't even pull that handle when I WANT to...

Short Fuse EOD Thanks this.
  9. windsmith

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    Check that, and your trailer tandems.

I always take a peek, and follow up with a slow roll in 1st gear, then yank the trolley valve and bog the engine. That ensures that both the 5th wheel and trailer tandems are still locked in.

RockinChair, Bean Jr. and crb Thank this.
  10. OPUS 7

OPUS 7 Road Train Member

Aug 13, 2010
    That one always gets me cussing!Hop out give a big yank,and nothing!

windsmith Thanks this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I actually experienced a trailer seperation at speed. We had just come off the tydings southbound NE of Baltimore and the bridge flipped the trailer off the 5th wheel. (Container was empty, tractor was a ford 9000 day cab.) it came down on the aft drive axle and tires and stayed there until my rescue driver was talked to the shoulder. I rather not have to go from napping to assessing the problem and come up with commands to my newbie driver that night. But he did very good and exactly just so to keep that trailer on us until we got it stopped. Basically no braking or anything and it's a upgrade too so we stopped quick coasting. Down went the landing gear and a few sore backs later clunk and verified in the jaws and shut off we go again. There were a bunch of cars around us that night when the trailer got loose. You can bet half the herd abandoned that right lane in a hurry. Im just happy it worked out the way it did, Even if it seperated clean the trailer brakes will have come on when the lines snapped and that would be that minus anyone too slow to stop in time behind. And in Maryland that is failure to control vehicle to avoid collison. So... 45 dollar ticket at most.

OPUS 7 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.