1. notstrokin67

notstrokin67 Bobtail Member

Feb 17, 2010
    lebanon ohio
    Is that not correct? im not tryin to get on your guys nerves im just tryin to be legal.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bogey

Bogey Light Load Member

Jan 12, 2010
    columbus,OH & elkhart,IN
    I called Indiana State Police today and spoke with a guy in the scale house. I am in the process of building a Low Pro Flatbed rated at less than 26K Lbs and will be pulling a trailer that's less than 10K GVWR. He told me that as long as my truck with the cargo on top of it was NEVER over 26K AND my trailer was never over 10K that I don't need a CDL-A. I plan to get my CDL-A but I wanted to duplicate this again and let someone else that doesn't have a CDL use my truck for a percentage of what the truck makes.
    The state police equated it to someone that RENTS a 26'box truck and loads it to 25K gross weight and THEN pulls a car or boat behind it that weighs less than 10K (and its rated for less than the 10K GVW)and you all know this is obviously a legal load. IT doesn't matter whether its for commercial use or not. THIS COMBO WOULD WORK. Maybe not for you however since you want to haul four or five cars. This is why I went with my combination. the drawback is I can only haul 3 cars

4. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    We really need Dieselbear or Mike_MD to give some authoritative word on this . The issue of derating a trailer then loading it above the new rating but under registered weight came up before but I can't remember what the word was .
    Your questions are fine . This is info that needs to be discussed

5. Mike_MD

Mike_MD Medium Load Member

Feb 4, 2009
    O-Zone
    The DOT med card, log, and periodic inspection would all apply as they kick in at 10,001 pounds or more. I regard to the CDL:

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regu.../fmcsrruletext.aspx?chunkKey=0901633480023237

As far as operating a vehicle over its declared GVWR:

Be safe.

6. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Thanks , Mike , but what bout the case where the VIN plate is not missing but has been rerated to a lower GVWR by the manufacturer ? That avoids CDL requirements but the owner registers the vehicle for a higher GVWR . So is there a regulation prohibiting exceeding the GVWR on the plate if you don't exceed tire and axle ratings or registered weight ?

7. Kansas

Kansas Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2009
    aircap, Ks.
    A company that I used to work for had us running Dodge 3500 cab and chassis pulling 48' enclosed trailers. With a posted weight rating on the cab in 3" tall lettering of 38K. The only Dot officer that I ever had question this went and checked the tires weight rating which came out legal. We ran all 48 states, at well over 100K miles a year per truck.

I think this link explains pretty well where the grey area comes from, and why the hotshots can do what they do. I have had this link book marked for a while now, as this subject comes up quite often on another forum I belong to.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Trucking-2220/2009/2/gcwr.htm

To me the answer lies between the weight carrying capability of the tires, and to what your registering state will allow you to do. In the case of my former company, they actually manufactured their own trailers. For them it was easy as they controlled what the manuf. plate stated.

8. notstrokin67

notstrokin67 Bobtail Member

Feb 17, 2010
    lebanon ohio
    i appreciate everybodys help. i have talked to people at odot as well as other auto transport companies it seems everyone views this subject a lil different. the info i have recieved from you guys seems to make the most sense. most people on here seem to be well informed

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.