Had a minor accident...need advice

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by magumbo, Jun 12, 2012.

1. magumbo

magumbo Bobtail Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Chicago il
    He did text me his address for me to mail out the check and confirm the amount

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ew2108

ew2108 Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Baltimore, Md
    Like others have said your making a mistake buy paying him anything your not at fault unless your leaving out details. This is money you can buy a new coffee thermo with not sending to so impatient 4 wheeler

4. ewill71

ewill71 Heavy Load Member

Oct 3, 2011
    mcgregor tx
    should have notified the police to get it on record. You say it was his fault and most likely he says it was your fault. Like one guy said you paid him for it so you admitted guilt. If the cops got called most likely it would have been the other guys fault for being in the wrong place.

5. Kansas

Kansas Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2009
    aircap, Ks.
    You gotta be kidding me? You screwed up royal. This guy is gonna be your worst nightmare, he gonna squeeze you for cash as long as you allow him too. NEVER admit fault. Bet u money if you mentioned calling the cops the dude would have disappeared.

There are people out there that do this kinda thing for a living. Sounds like u just found one.

Never ever ever ever admit fault.

flightwatch and LaBubba Thank this.
  6. flightwatch

flightwatch Road Train Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Somewhere in Texas
    Yep...I agree with both Pedigree and Kansas. As they say in the South: "You done screwed up big time." Guaranteed that you will hear from him again.

7. chalupa

chalupa Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas

8. Travelinman

Travelinman Medium Load Member

Mar 22, 2010
    Driver you have got yourself a potential mess! You could be charged for leaving the scene of an accident which could essentially render your cdl useless. If this guy calls an atty, you are screwed, because now you have admitted guilt, and admitted to an accident that you failed to report. Pray on this one. Maybe you'll be fine!

9. Travelinman

Travelinman Medium Load Member

Mar 22, 2010
    If i were you I would contact an atty for a free consultation and see what is recommended. You may still be able to report the incident to the police and get ahead of this situation before it potentially explodes all over you. Suppose this guy goes to the hospital complaining of neck pain and then calls an atty?

Gizmo_Man Thanks this.
  10. monkeypuncher

monkeypuncher Medium Load Member

Feb 28, 2009
    dallas,tx
    Some will disagree, but the OP was at fault by leaving enough room for the car to get on his right side. If you make the right button-hook properly, he doesn't have room to get between you and the curb.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
    Gizmo_Man Thanks this.
  11. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    He didn't leave the scene...he exchanged information with the other person (and wrote a check), which is evidence of his stopping. Most jurisdictions have a dollar limit to determine whether or not the crash needs to be reported. If the damage falls below that dollar amount, no report is needed....but above that dollar amount, you'd better have filed a report. Different jurisdictions can have different requirements....so it is best to check ASAP after an incident, or just be "safe" and call the police whenever you have an incident.

A company I worked for about 10 years ago had a policy...their insurance would not pay if no police report was filed. I found that out when I had a similar incident...guy tried passing me on the right shoulder as I was making a right turn into a store parking lot & he got hit. No damage to the truck, but it put a pretty good dent in his rear fender. He gave me what I believed to be a phony name, wouldn't exchange information, and was VERY adamant about the police not being called. The company safety guy told me to tell him that without a police report, they would NOT pay for the damage. He was OK with that and left. I wrote down as much of his vehicle's info (including the VIN...something I would have HAD to have stopped in order to have got it) as I could, as well as details about what was discussed as evidence of my having stopped to exchange info, despite the fact that he was uncooperative in that regard.

As far as the company was concerned, the incident never happened.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.