Hail damage?

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by LBZ, May 3, 2018.

1. LBZ

LBZ Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Road to Nowhere
    Watching the storms roll across the midwest this week left me curious what happens with hail damage claims? They were showing baseball size hail out in Nebraska yesterday on the news. Tornadoes etc down in Kansas & elsewhere. Video linked below.

Am assuming new units are different than used? Though do not remember the specifics in brokerage/mfg agreements on new units. Each may have their own specific language.

I was very fortunate to not have to deal with a customers car(s). My truck however took a beating in Kansas City about 10 years ago & opted not to file a claim. Was very fortunate that day to not have pulled the cars out of the auction as that storm rolled in.

Anyway, am sure there are some horror stories out there & some may have been through this previously...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    For as many vehicles as we move and obviously because of where we are located and pull from/too, we have had very few claims (knock on the biggest piece of wood I can find) There is such a thing called the Carmacks agreement, which basically states that an act of god isn't the transporter company/drivers problem, However, what do you do if it's a regular customer???

We have run into it a couple of times in 25+ years, some insurance companies will cover the damage, other will claim AOG no fault, I have had it both ways, I have even split the cost of one repair with a dealer that was a good customer and also with a broker, a dealer and us in a 3 way split, ( I know sounds like the start of a bad joke) interested in what others have done?

brian991219 Thanks this.
  4. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    LBZ Thanks this.
  5. NUAutoTransport

NUAutoTransport Bobtail Member

May 3, 2018
    Los Angeles
    'Act of god' damage is not covered by company/driver insurance as it is not negligent damage caused by driver or malfunctioning equipment.

Customer should find out from their own car insurance if such damage is covered before opting to ship a car on an open carrier OR go with enclosed auto transport option instead.

LBZ Thanks this.
  6. LBZ

LBZ Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Road to Nowhere
    Regardless of ones religious beliefs, think we can all agree that God is pretty bad with money. Just like Sunday morning, someone is going to have their hand out. ;):D Sarcasm & hope no one takes offense.

While I know the exemption for an Act of God. If it is a regular customer, someone will have to pay for or absorb the damages. As KT mentioned above, sometimes it comes down to a split share in financial responsibility. Would think most dealerships have a policy that includes hail damage for their lot. But if their claim is only for what was in transport & not physically on the lot, they may have zero coverage.

Only brought this topic up to see what others have done over the years in a worst case scenario.

KANSAS TRANSIT Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.