HAM Radio

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by striker, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Crude Truckin'

Crude Truckin' Alien Spacecraft

Oct 22, 2016
    North Dakota, Eh?
    Off subject here. I trained guy that claimed he was a ham, went on and on and on about how he would talk to guys in Texas, Florida and what not back in the 80s. He tried telling me the strong south wind in the summer would carry the signals to the northern plains. So I asked him what his callsign was, and where he got his license. He replied his callsign was "polar bear" and he got his license at radio shack.......SMH. I don't think I've ever felt so uncomfortable before.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I’m a new OTR driver. My second month.
    Also a past ham. KC0QXU. I allowed the license to expire. When I obtained the license. I had started dying from diabetes. Causing weight loss. No treatment. Either stops, or doesn’t and you die. Since then things have been tough. Trucking has changed a lot for me. Loving the life. Thinking of renewing my license. I had gotten it back when morse code was more required. I’m one of the few people you’ll meet who walked into a licensing session with no license at all. Walked out with General Class. Morse code included. I liked all the highly portable,low wattage stuff, using a key.

4. Crude Truckin'

Crude Truckin' Alien Spacecraft

Oct 22, 2016
    North Dakota, Eh?
    One of my buddies is a big QRP guy. He's going to try checking into the ND evening net on 3845 one of these days on his FT817. He should be able to do it as band conditions during the day have been quite favorable for NVIS on 75.

5. WesternPlains

Sep 1, 2017
    I checked. I’m still listed as a Flying Pig.
    I imagine, now, I’m too busy. So if i do. It will probably be something like an ft817 in my truck. Gotta have that 2 meter included. For decent local talk.

Crude Truckin' Thanks this.
  6. IndianaF150

IndianaF150 Medium Load Member

Apr 27, 2014
    There are a bunch of cheap chinese qrp radios on ebay.

Crude Truckin' Thanks this.
  7. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    I'm still trying to figure out the fascination myself.

8. WesternPlains

Sep 1, 2017
    I don’t think anyone even monitors the flatulence on cb.

9. stacks

stacks Road Train Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Emerald Isle
  10. VolvoTerry

VolvoTerry Light Load Member

Sep 7, 2015
    Based out of Omaha,NE
    Stacks here is an updated view of my HF set up. Switched from the lil Tarheel to the 75A Stubby 75-10 meters. Changed the mount and mounting location as vibration was wreaking havoc on the antena. 1.1-1.3 across all bands. Using the CH-1 Cap Hat to give me the coverage usually seen with the provided 6' whip.
    I have also installed a 40 amp MPPT Solar Charge controller, currently using a portable 120 watt solar panel to keep my batteries fresh while parked. Will need to up grade the panel and mount at least one in a permanent fixed position. I wanted to take it step by step to make sure I wasnt going to be introducing noise to my receiver.

Attached Files:

Crude Truckin' and WesternPlains Thank this.
  11. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Top of headache rack would probably quadruple performance as opposed to hanging off the side.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.