Handheld cb radio

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by ChristopherH209, Jan 27, 2017.

1. ChristopherH209

ChristopherH209 Bobtail Member

Nov 21, 2015
    New York
    I've been looking into getting a cb radio for quite a while now and I wanted a portable one. I drive under someone else's authority but usually same truck ever week. So I wanted handheld just so I can have it so no one else can touch it or steal it. I have zero experience with operating a cb radio. I've been looking at the Midland 75-822 Miniature handheld. I'd like to get least 5 miles in open road. Would this be a good first cb for me or just a bad experience?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA

I have that model and although good from one side of the road to the other, I'm not optimistic about 5 miles. Im sure using an external antenna would be a huge improvement in range for you/me. Ill test it with an external antenna asap and report back.

BTW there are a bunch of youtube videos on this unit

4. ChristopherH209

ChristopherH209 Bobtail Member

Nov 21, 2015
    New York
    Yeah I was thinking about getting external antenna but wasn't sure if I had the knowledge of setting that up. Also would I need to do any tuning?

5. Timin770

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA

I bet you'd get adequate performance with an external. As far as tuning I'll let the resident gurus answer that.

6. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    They all need some sorta tuning..Im no expert either but im 99% sure on my answer..

7. Timin770

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    The good news is that tuning an antenna is usually not brain surgery. A few notable exceptions have been discussed on this forum.

Oh yeah there are also lots of reviews on Amazon. Mostly positive. Some of the negative reviews are about crazy things such as "the units appeared to be refurb, not new"

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  8. skyjacker

skyjacker Bobtail Member

Feb 9, 2017
    The 75822 midland is ok but the cobra HHROADtrip offers as magnetic antenna you can take it with you truck to truck there is a great website that can help you out www.wearecb.com

9. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Check this beauty out. I know a guy that has one of these with the Motorola MRF477 conversion and it works great.
    http://www.deltaelectronicsonline.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Magnum+1012
    [​IMG]

10. TurnRight379

TurnRight379 Bobtail Member

Feb 14, 2017
    have the Midland 75-822, rubber antenna is junk, to run a co-ax it hooks into the top of the radio. It's a PITA with the co-ax in the top and the power wire coming out of the bottom, I felt like I was always fighting it with wires going everywhere. There's really no good way to tune that radio, got the antenna set, but it never worked like I wanted and never had a good signal. Got a Cobra 29 and I'll never go back.

11. skulldrinker

skulldrinker Light Load Member

Apr 20, 2012
    i bought the handheld Cobra radio just to talk to the quarry loader when i drove a dump truck and when i found out the batteries would not charge when plugged into the 12 volts I through it on the junk pile. Too much trouble to remove batteries-charge-reinstall. Make sure yours will recharge at the same time it's plugged into 12 volts and using it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.