Handheld cb radio

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by ChristopherH209, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    After evaluating my Midland for quite a few weeks, here are my thoughts: An external antenna is a must if you expect to hear anything at all.

I dont want to post my entire resume but Im semi-retired but will frequently slip-seat for a company driver on vacation, etc. I mostly listen anyway so the Midland is a nice way to have a CB without the hassle of carrying around a conventional mobile unit and mounting it in a variety of trucks. Im smart enough to not expect the same performance as I would get from my Stryker or Northpoint, but for my purposes it does the job. The phrase "it is what it is" comes to mind. Oh yeah I often fly in to various cities and hop into a truck, so the portability is a big plus.

Keep in mind Im basing my comments on MY needs. Your mileage may vary. For mostly listening, I have found the Midland quite adequate. If you want to transmit 45 miles, this may not be the best choice

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Meteorgray

Meteorgray Heavy Load Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Timin770, what type of antenna did you use?

4. Timin770

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    The unit Im in now has a 4' fiberglass Stinger, but if I get in a unit without an antenna I have used a couple different magnet mounts. Dont get me wrong, Id much rather be running my Stryker or Northpoint, but for portability you cant beat the handhelds. In one week Ill fly back home to ATL and I can just shove the little handheld in my luggage

5. Meteorgray

Jan 1, 2016
    Yeah, a 4-watt handheld can get the job done about as well as any legal unit. I've got an old 'Shack handheld that is still pumping and sucking after 20+ years. It's now used mostly as my loaner for trips where a companion vehicle doesn't have ears. When paired with one of my 3 - 5 foot magnetic antennas, that little handheld can be set up and tuned in and ready to roll in a couple of minutes. I just confirm with a quick SWR check to make sure it's in the ballpark to play; I.E., @1.5 SWR or lower and it's talking about as well as any legal unit out there, which is as far as I care to communicate on the road anyway.

6. Timin770

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA

forgot to mention I run an a cable from headphone jack to aux input on vehicle stereo for much better sound

7. Meteorgray

Jan 1, 2016
    I know what you mean. Tiny speakers can be difficult to hear, especially in a noisy environment. I always use an external CB speaker, and sometimes I use an ear piece when the wifey is with me.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.