Handheld device...good or bad?

Discussion in 'Con-Way' started by SKY8109, May 7, 2010.

1. SKY8109

SKY8109 Bobtail Member

Apr 25, 2010
    The GREAT USA
    My terminal recently began using the handheld scanners.....If anyone has been using them for awhile and can offer pro's-con's it would be appreciated..

S~

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jakebrake12

jakebrake12 Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    Never used one yet but drivers from Charlotte, NC and Albany, NY who have had them for years say we'll like em once we get used to them..

4. RJ33RD

RJ33RD Heavy Load Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    when i use to work for central transport i used a hand held device , sometimes they are annoying especially if you had alot of freight to scan and as soon as your almost done it freezes on you and the consignee has already taken the skids away. But all and all its good tells you alot about the freight such as weight destination from where it came and where its going.

5. kebo072

kebo072 Light Load Member

May 6, 2007
    bristol va
    i usually run NKX but lastnight i ran NCH. used the handheld for the 1st time, and they are great and fool proof. everything you need in the palm of your hand.lol scan or manually enter the pro and, walla, there is your door number.
    you can look at your "hotsheet" on the handheld, close and set up trailers, and no waiting for t-con, all done on handheld.

6. jakebrake12

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    I run a re-ship that gets a lot of trailers from Charlotte and it's a pain because none of the bills are coded and half the bills don't match the freight and have the freight doesn't have bills. Will be nice once we all are using them.

7. nikondvr

nikondvr Light Load Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Ours are currently sitting in the terminal managers office. They are still getting the mounts installed in all of our trucks. No word yet when we will put them in use. I hope they work well because I am without communication on most of my route as it's a peddle run in the countryside.

8. jakebrake12

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    We started the hand-helds Monday at my hub and by Friday I was in love with it. It allows you to do so many things that only supervisors used to be able to do - check how much was coming to a door, print bills, and most importantly close your own trailers. I would say 80% of line-haul drivers here are already fans of it and could care less about the bad week getting the bugs worked out. Out of the remaining 20% 10% will become fans and the other 10% still don't know what direct deposit is..lol..

Been here 7 years and absolutely love it - just wondering why it took so long to get them.. Since I'm not yet 30, I definitely get a kick out of the fact that the younger drivers here have grasped and embraced it so much quicker.. You older Con-way drivers know I respect and love ya but the rotary phone went out 20 years ago right..lol..

9. nikondvr

nikondvr Light Load Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Since I'm not yet 30, I definitely get a kick out of the fact that the younger drivers here have grasped and embraced it so much quicker.. You older Con-way drivers know I respect and love ya but the rotary phone went out 20 years ago right..lol..

har har har........ listen up you young whipper snapper... I'm 51 and I didn't have any trouble at all getting into the handhelds. We've been using them for about a month now and I think they are great as I no longer am without communication on my run. They work great everywhere on my run. Of course to be fair I was a security system tech for 20 years and I build my own PCs. By the way jake...... here's a towel so you can get that wet stuff from behind your ears.... :biggrin_255:

10. jakebrake12

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    Haha.. We have some old farm boys out here that are lost. These things are great though. There are some small changes I'd like to eventually see on the FAC app - we build loads to bypass our place to the next FAC but all of the freight can go together and break during the day at our place. I'd like to be able to do it myself without needing supervisor approval. I'd also like to set my own load doors up wherever I want and load whatever I want in it without needing approval and him to set up the door and what can go there. Basically, when we had the paper system I would load whatever in any door I wanted to and would like to have the same ability with the hand-held. My name is on it anyway and it would save a lot of time if I could do it all myself.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.