Handicapped parking

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by WhyDriveTruck, Jul 19, 2014.

1. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I have spinal problems and a bad hip. I'm due to have surgery soon to, hopefully alleviate this. I have worked with this condition for a long time. Most days were ok but on some days I had a hard time walking from the lot into the stop to eat or shower. Sometimes I had to stop and rest til the pain went down some. I have a handicapped placard but have never used it at a truck stop cause whenever I really needed it the handicap parking holes were filled up. I had some smart ### tell me I shouldn't be driving but I have a family to support and you know how that is. All I'm really saying is to not judge everyone that's parked in a handicap slot the same. I know there are some undeserving a--holes out there but for some the closer places mean being able to just get by.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    Not long ago, I seen a guy with one leg get out of his truck at a truck stop, fuel, get in, pull up, get back out & go inside. He done it so well, looks like he has been doing that for years. He seemed to get around as well as I do. If he has the desire to do it, leave the man alone. If he couldnt do the job that needed to be done, he probably wouldnt be in this business very long. There are some people who want to & there are some who dont want to.

4. 12 ga

12 ga THE VIEW FROM MY OFFICE

Oct 21, 2013
    Central Michigan
    I share your pain brother. I'm more fortunate than you in the respect that I'm semi retired and only haul 1-2 loads a month. I'm looking to have surgery before the end of the year.
    I was at the fuel desk paying for fuel one day and there was a driver, for no known reason complaining about the existence of their handicapped parking spots and that they should not exist. Well I figured it was the perfect time to straighten him out and I was the perfect example of why they should exist. I told him of my medical issue and that when I was having a bad day I would use a spot if available. If I didn't need it I didn't use it, leave it for some one in more need. The only comment he had then was Oh, now I understand.

5. Joetro

Joetro Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Post Falls, ID
    If he was running a stinger setup, you all but need a pit to get under them to adjust the brakes, so getting it done at a shop is the best way. Just throwing that out there. Besides, when we were still running the manual slack adjusters, I don't remember there being handicap parking.

6. 12 ga

Oct 21, 2013
    Central Michigan
    It was a stinger, and I didn't need a handicapped spot back then. I have never seen anyone that could adjust tractor bakes on a stinger outfit without the use of a pit. Another example being to fast to judge people before the facts are known.

7. Joetro

Joetro Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Post Falls, ID
    Well, there was no way I could ever slide between the duals on mine, when I owned one. The only way you might be able to get it done without a pit is if you didn't have a car behind the cab and didn't have drip pans. Even then, there's nothing easy about it. You certainly weren't going to do it at the top of Cabbage.

8. OldHasBeen

OldHasBeen Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2010
    That's the way lazy drivers think, & it seems your one of them.

9. OldHasBeen

OldHasBeen Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2010
    NO, you don't need a pit to adjust your brakes, that is if your not lazy. Of course I am not speaking about today's trucks, for I know nothing about them. In yesterday years there was many a trucks that stopped at the top of the mountains, & the truck driver got out & adjusted their brakes.

10. 12 ga

Oct 21, 2013
    Central Michigan
    You know nothing of my work habits or my driving career. I can see that it is a wasted effort so I will just write you off.

11. GSOK

GSOK Light Load Member

Nov 26, 2013
    Vancouver WA
    I had asked myself the same question as the OP, and have some excellent insight thanks to the posting in this thread. I had guessed that as there are plenty of laws mandating a certain amount of handicapped spaces for normal cars in any given parking lot, that maybe they were mandated for semis as well.

My hat is off to those of you working around an amputated limb or chronic condition to continue bringing home the paycheck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.