Hanging Oversize signs

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by kubotaorange76, Jan 8, 2012.

1. kubotaorange76

kubotaorange76 Light Load Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Monticello, Ga
    Picking up some oversize steel plate tommorrow (10'3"x20')

Anyone have tips for securing oversize signs to rear of trailer without covering lights or tag? or is it ok to cover the tag? on truck and or trailer? ill post a pic of the back of my trailer shortly

Ive got the front covered....should be a breeze with a few bungees

How about flagging corners on something like plate steel? I was thinking either put chains on front and rear near corner and attach to that?

Im all for any tips, advice etc...

Btw im just hauling from winder ga to florence, sc

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. haulhand

haulhand Road Train Member

I would just hang your sign under the lights on the back of your trailer and not worry about covering the tag. On the flags your idea sounds good to me or I use magnets for that kind of stuff.

4. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    when in doubt flag all corners of load and all corners of outfit your driving. try not to cover plate on trailer and truck. it will cause less hassle going down the road or when you enter scales. also check and see if your required to have strobe lights. ga requires a $2 permit if your running strobes.

kubotaorange76 Thanks this.
  5. cpape

cpape Desk Jockey

Jul 15, 2010
    Dubuque, IA
    We give our drivers short stakes to put in the rear stake pockets. This allows you to rig the sign over the deck of the trailer without blocking either the plate or the lights. If you have to cover either the lights or the plate, cover the plate. It is rare that anyone would hassle you over this.

You don't have to flag the corners, just the widest point. Try to get it close to the front and rear of the load.

kubotaorange76 Thanks this.
  6. XXX Trucking

XXX Trucking Bobtail Member

Jan 8, 2012
    Bethlehem,GA.
    I haul a lot of oversize in GA and SC they souldn't mess with you about the tag being covered on the trailer, however GA will probably say something if the plate is covered on the truck.

7. kubotaorange76

Apr 9, 2010
    Monticello, Ga
    got some pictures of rear of trailer up now. i dont think theres a way i can avoid covering truck and trailer tag? thanks for the ideas and help!

8. kubotaorange76

Apr 9, 2010
    Monticello, Ga

im picking up in winder at olympic steel, you haul out of there much?....looks close to home for ya

9. cpape

cpape Desk Jockey

Jul 15, 2010
    Dubuque, IA
    You could probably cut 2 x 4s to fit in the rear stake pockets.

Do you haul Kubotas?

10. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Good suggestion there, cpape.
    Also take a 2x4 and put it in the center of the trl. and bungee the sign to it.
    That way it will keep from ripping up your o.d. banner..
    I had a sign board on the rear of the trl.,but I have to run mine all the time.
    On 2 metal tubes that slide in and out in case of a crane lift and I have to pull out from under the crane.

11. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    Magnets work fantastic on steel and are only $5ish at Fleetpride. When I can't attach my sign to the cargo, I use the ends for my bridge in the rear stake pockets. I run a mesh sign as well.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.