HANJIN

Discussion in 'Intermodal Trucking Forum' started by JJKid, Aug 31, 2016.

1. kaybea

kaybea Light Load Member

Jul 12, 2014
    I worked in Korea from 2009 - 2013. I heard that Itaewon was a much more interesting place back in the day. There was relentless building of big, expensive apartment buildings and the country will be shrinking in population. I can picture that turning into a problem. Everyone wants to be living large in Gangnam. I heard some guy named Psy wrote a song about that place.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    From what i read it is the korean gov that wants Hyundai to take over parts off Hanjin,Hyundai has little choice so it would seem.

4. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    There's likely much truth to what you say. A recent article noted Hyundai will commit 13 ships to start taking over Hanjin routes at rates that are "reasonable".

The repercussions from the Hanjin bankruptcy will trickle down beyond container haulers. Legislators in California are pushing to get the Hanjin owned portion of the Long Beach port reopened, right now over 300 highly paid port positions aren't working. Without containers coming in trucking companies are suffering in the LA area right now. That will soon become an issue for other truckers down the distribution chain.

Hanjin is but the first of more bankruptcies. Don't be borrowing money for a house or a new car.

5. RERM

RERM Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Chicago, IL

Many of us shar similar experiences then.........with everything bad you can say about trucking, my stress levels are FAR lower!!!!!!!!...was telling the owner of the company I'm leased on to about my past life (he asked....I answered)....he couldn't believe the life I left for trucking... (I didn't even go into $$$ details).

It's hard for a lot of people to understand, happiness does not even remotely correlate to $$$.......

Lesson I, for one, learned the hard way.........

SoDel, speedyk and Lepton1 Thank this.
  6. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    Volvo makes ships now?

speedyk Thanks this.
  7. RERM

RERM Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Volvo is not Russian.

8. Michael H

Michael H Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Arizona
    Just about busted a gut on that! Hilarious!!!

9. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    How about chinese?

10. TankerP

TankerP Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Holding the steering wheel
    I was in Korea in the late 80's courtesy of uncle sam. Yes, Itaewon was insane. I had a unique experience to have fun at both the club scene and the college scene. My unit ran out of bed so they asked for a volunteer to go and billet with the Korean Army guys (KATUSAS). I raised my hand at the opportunity and never regretted it. These guys were college students who put their studies on hold to do mandatory Army service. They introduced me to college girls. When I hanged out with US guys I went to all the clubs at Itaewon and play with club girls and when I hanged out with the Koreans we'd go to Yonsei or Korea University's campus and play with rich college girls.

11. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    I figured someone would get it

tucker, magoo68 and 123456 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.