Hard steering issue

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by Sdecker85, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Sdecker85

Sdecker85 Bobtail Member

Jun 10, 2019
    I have a 2000 Kenworth t800 recently my steering has been really hard. When I have front end off the ground it steers great . The steering shaft and knuckles are all good ,kingpins seem fine and so are tierod ends , I changed the reservoir filter which was disgusting and it still happens could this be my power steering pump going bad? If the truck is moving it steers ok but still hard but if it’s loaded or sitting still you can barely turn wheel.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sustanon

Sustanon Light Load Member

Dec 19, 2010
    KY
    I had a small power steering fluid leak,years ago,i ignored it for months,and it led to an elbow tendinitis,put me out of work for 3 months.

4. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    How is the steering gearbox oil level?

5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Only way you're going to know for sure is to get it tested. You can toss money at it and hope you pick the right part. Most shops should have a flow meter and gauges. They'll use them to test pressure/flow from the pump and determine if its a pump or steering box issue.

pushbroom and spsauerland Thank this.
  6. Tombstone69

Tombstone69 Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    What did the oil look like when you changed it, if it was black and contained specs or a film of silver, there's a good chance you need a pump and a box. Its not really relevant, but I just bought an older F250 and had to change both, and it only has 80k on it(half of that plowing and working in a cemetery). Power steering oil is something that is frequently overlooked and usually doesn't get changed until something breaks. I've never heard of flow testing but it definitely makes sense, good luck, the pump I'm sure is cheaper than the box, unless you rebuild it yourself. One more thing always try to have the truck moving when you steer, stationary steering is bad on the parts and the steer tires, not to mention you're arms, especially when loaded.

7. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    5th wheel dry?

Tombstone69 Thanks this.
  8. Sdecker85

Sdecker85 Bobtail Member

Jun 10, 2019
    Steering fluid reservoir is full no leaks I changed filter and fluid a while back but still have issues I bled air out of system I’m thinking it’s the pump I’m prolly gunna have to get it tested and see how pressure is .

9. Sdecker85

Sdecker85 Bobtail Member

Jun 10, 2019
    When I changed fluid and filter originally it was a milky color no silver or metal in it though. Now it’s normal coloring not milky.

10. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    With hydraulics its not always the pump that's faulty. Oil under pressure is lazy. It will take the easiest route back to the reservoir. That's why I'd advise testing because a steering box that is bypassing internally will cause the system to act the same as a pump that is weak.

Tombstone69 Thanks this.
  11. Sdecker85

Sdecker85 Bobtail Member

Jun 10, 2019
    So to test should I put pressure gauge on pump outlet?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.