Hard time finding bus drivers

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Swadian, Mar 10, 2019.

1. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I would jump off a bridge before I worked in retail again.

bzinger, 88228822, x1Heavy and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Voyager1968

Voyager1968 Road Train Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have a P endorsement, currently drive a motorcoach, and am not a felon.

How do you plan on running the route? Are you planning on one bus, one driver and running straight through, or two busses and swapping drivers at a designated mid-way point? Either way, you probably need to give a driver a decent amount of hometime.

I might be interested if I could be based out of the Phoenix area, swap with a Reno based driver in Vegas, and then return to Phoenix. Of course you'd need the ridership on both ends to have enough passengers to leave both locations with reasonably full busses going to the other on a daily basis.

NavigatorWife and Swadian Thank this.
  4. Swadian

Swadian Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2017
    Reno, NV, USA
    Not so bad here. Most of our passengers are seniors. Problem is, lots of drivers dislike waiting around for "slow wobbly seniors" or helping them with bags or other things.

No, the driver isn't crucified, I'm crucified by the insurance company. Bus insurance goes as high as $40,000/year. I'm not paying that much but I can tell you, if one of my drivers has a speeding ticket, I could lose anywhere from $4,000 to $10,000 on insurance, not including the ticket.

Also the moment I hire a convicted felon, my insurance policy is cancelled. No questions asked.

5. Swadian

Jan 21, 2017
    Reno, NV, USA
    Yes, probably at least half of my passengers are gonna be retirees.

There's a driver change in Las Vegas (7 hours from Reno). I pay for the hotel in Las Vegas, and pay $265 each way between North Lake Tahoe and Las Vegas (about 8 hours). Reno driver heads back from Vegas the next day.

Well, you have to worry about a wheelchair lift, ADA compliance, and occasional angry passengers, though I can say bus drivers have a ton more angst against stupid car drivers than against passengers.

6. Swadian

Jan 21, 2017
    Reno, NV, USA
    I've only got 1 bus right now, but I need more than 1 driver to make it to Phoenix, so we're swapping out in Vegas. I can give anyone home time; I just don't have enough drivers right now. Problem with only 1 bus is doing the run 3x weekly, which means I can only hire drivers based in Reno and Las Vegas, not Phoenix.

I was offering $30/hour and didn't get any drivers.

In the left lane, yes. Speeding, not if you get caught and the insurance company cancels my policy or raises my rates by $10,000. Because that's what happens to bus lines.

I'm offering $30/hour.

I don't know how much school bus drivers get paid, I'm paying $30/hour. Only problem is, I only have 1 bus and can't offer benefits since we're just starting out.

Well, we were offering $30/hour, but didn't get anyone, so it's $265/trip for an 8-hour drive now. Not including pre-trip. Insurance company wants you to have a Nevada license within 30 days. Don't ask me why, ask the insurance underwriter.

7. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    $14,600.00 per year in medical expenses would slice a huge chunk out of those wages. After taxes it would reduce those wages to less than half. It might be tough to find someone to fill the drivers seat unless they live with their parents or have no living expenses. Someone with a family to take care of wouldn't be able to do it.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  8. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    did you add the left lane and speeding to the figure. speeding in the left lane on the big road is equal to 10-12k in benefits

9. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    I assumed the 10-12k in hammer lane benefits would be offset by fines and legal fees so I didn't include those.

truckdriver31 Thanks this.
  10. zbs60

zbs60 Bobtail Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Hi Swadian

I need a full time job with benefits. I used to work for a worldwide limousine and charter company in my town. If you want to find a good driver i would go down to the local greyhound bus and ask around if anyone knows a retired driver looking for part time work. Its the time of year when they retire. Might also try the local teamster union for drivers in your town. U could post on craigslist. Theres alot retired drivers here in stlouis who would love to work for that money. Alot of these company only pay 15 bucks an hour here.

11. JPenn

JPenn Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Northern Tier PA
    $30/hour is a pretty decent rate, though not having benefits does lower the attractiveness a touch for someone with dependents. For me personally it doesn't work...I currently work for rather less than that hourly, but the benefits/pension fill the gap (have 6 school aged kids and a handicapped wife). I'd be a lot more OK dealing with seniors/retirees than the other major bus-riding demographic we get around the northeast.

Swadian, NavigatorWife and Ruthless Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.