hartt transportation

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by buck and a half, Nov 16, 2007.

1. buck and a half

buck and a half Mr. Miles & Miles with Many Smiles

Aug 11, 2006
    madison,me
    Diesel driver,maybe after you get some driving time under your belt you will understand my post alot better.I believe most of the forum experienced drivers know exactly what my post was meant to show. The moral of my story is,everyone at hartt isn't treated the same,some can take their trucks home and some can't,some drivers go straight out of maine and right back again,get 3000 miles and go home for 34 to 48 and next week get 3000 miles again.That was true for me on my first time there 8 yrs ago,was true for most of my last 11 past months,then I went out to wi, in 2 days,then it took 4 to 5 days to get home,after doing 3 to 4 more loads at 300 mile average,to get home. Then you take time off trying to get home after using your whole 70 hrs,remember,tolls everywhere,times loading unloading on your bills,tolls coming home to maine,I had to match it all.All drivers at Hartt are not monitored like I was. Then when you get home on tues or wed,you take your 34 and lose more time At 34 a mile it isn't worth it,with any experience at all its worth 38 a mile to do all those stops and still make money.Like I said if you can go out in 2.5 days and come back in 2.5 days it isnt a bad deal,gross 1000 and clear 750. Then it all changed for me.Other drivers are still taking their trucks and trailers home,saving time,going straight out and straight back and making money,but alot are not making it and having to quit like I had to do. I rest my case. Diesel driver have a great day. Hope you understand a little better now.Most of us older drivers have been thru this type of thing many times.I just wanted to let others beware of what can happen and did happen to my career at Hartt.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buck and a half

Aug 11, 2006
    madison,me
    Can't say anything bad or good for pottles. I had a friend over there thru the years,he was one of the originals there. I was told he retired. Pottles lost a bunch of their drivers to Hartt not too long ago,I don't know why.

4. wild horse

wild horse Bobtail Member

Mar 28, 2008
    Gardiner, ME
    I don't have a problem with Hartt. I'm a local driver out of Auburn so I'm home 90% of the time every night and the reason why I say that is because things happen and I do run out of time coming back from MA, RI, or CT. Other then that I will take a ocassional load up to Quebec, over to Upstate NY, or down to Jersey.

The only gripe I have is when I call/send a meassage saying I'm empty where ever, my dispatcher tell's me "Alright I'll let the Planner know". Then some of the stuff the planner sends is like what the ?! A good example of this is I was dispatched to take a load out of Auburn to Cranston RI. When I was in Attleboro MA, I sent a message that I was almost to Cranston. My aether system goes off and it was a backhaul from Mansfield, MA to Skowhegan, ME but drop in the Auburn, ME yard. I get down to my destination and I see another Hartt truck getting ready to leave so I asked him if he deadhead in or brought a load, he tells me that he deadheaded. When I checked in at the guardshack, the guard asks me what my pick up number was and I told him I had a load coming in not going out then he show's me the bill's for another load going back to Auburn, ME so I call up dispatch and ask them about it and I was told that another truck was coming for that load and I was to go get the load assigned to me. This was after the fuel tipped the $4.00 mark so it was recently!

To recap this (incase some high up's in Hartt read this) 3 truck's go to Cranston RI, 2 truck's deadhead in to get a load while 1 truck goes in with a load and leaves empty.

Basically what I am saying is Hartt Transportation does have it's up's and down's like most companies, to me there has been more good then bad just watch doing "Favor's" some don't work out the way they tell you they will.

HeckIGot2Go! Thanks this.
  5. roadrunnr2008

roadrunnr2008 Bobtail Member

Feb 18, 2008
    Vermont
    What could I reasonably expect to make over their working out of VT?

Buck said they started him at .32 a mile but another guy said he was told starting was .40-.45 a mile.

Can you give specifics.

Also do you know anything about the VT operation? They had an ad in the Rutland VT paper a few months back and it sounded like they had some dedicated account up here somewhere?

Thanks,

6. wild horse

Mar 28, 2008
    Gardiner, ME
    Local driver's start out at $12 hour, Regional driver's $.040 mile, Road driver's are $0.32, Dedicated are $0.40 to $0.45 a mile depending on the run you want to do.

The dedicated run that is around Rutland is actually out of Ticaonderoga, NY. When Scott Grant told me about it it was paying $0.40 a mile for the Condo's and $0.45 a mile for the Flattop, I have know idea on what it is paying now since I stuck with the local stuff. The way the run was set up, driver's would take a load out of Rumford, ME on Sunday and deliver either to Plattsburgh, NY or Island Falls, NY on Monday then deadhead into Ticonderoga to work out of there and be back to Auburn for 34 hours over the weekend.

I AM NOT A RECRUITER FOR HARTT JUST A DRIVER

btw for those of you that say you have been trying to talk to some of the driver's, Hartt furnishes the antena's and coax but not the cb so some of the driver's are running without radio's then some are on another channel.

7. buck and a half

Aug 11, 2006
    madison,me
    Hartt does pay road drivers 34 to start,regional drivers 40,they haul alot of water out of maine from poland sprgs load sites,into ny city,nj etc. I believe the local guys in ma. get 40 cents too,they do alot of local deliveries and also lowes loads out of plainfield,ct,at the distribution plant.That might be what they needed in rutland vt,drivers to deliver loads fron lowes to stores in vt.. Like I said before,Hartt was great for me at 32 and 34 a mile as long as I came out,delivered and right back again.They were getting 3.05 a mile back and over 2.00 out a mile,not sure,might have been more.Then they started having me run 800 miles from wi.,then deliver.Then the sh''', started three or four,loads to pickup and deliver before I got back home. It took too long to do this,run you out of hours,either 11,14,or even 70,then when you finally get home,you take 2 days off and lose your miles for that week,thus 3000 one week,the next only 1200 or 1400. At 34 a mile it's not worth it.Other companies compensate you with more money per mile on short miles as Hartt makes alot more on short loads as everybody does.If they were paying at least 38 a mile for all miles that would be okay.I will say as far as auburn goes,it is better than the bangor yard as far as taking care of the drivers,thats from the drivers themselves,but,that other dispatcher that name begins with mi,they didn't think much of her.I know exactly what that other Hartt driver was saying.They treat company drivers different than lease trucks,oo's with their own trucks get the worse paying loads,then the lease purchases from Hartt,get the next better paying loads,then the best paying loads go on a company truck,same as most companies have done since I started 40 plus years ago.It hasn't changed much,except for the worse.

8. wild horse

Mar 28, 2008
    Gardiner, ME
    Buck and a Half, I had that dispatcher you are refering to for a couple weeks. As a Local driver I got more miles then some of the Regional driver's did! Actually to this day with my dispatcher, I still average roughly 1200-1800 miles as a hourly driver. When the New England frieght is slow, I go out a little further just to make money instead of doing the mill runs and having short days.

The driver's down in Shrewsbury, MA are on salary by the way.

9. buck and a half

Aug 11, 2006
    madison,me
    Wild horse ,thks for the update. I forgot that the ma,drivers are on salary,I used to talk to them alot in shrewsbury. Yea,mi,was nice to me for my first 6 months then changed all of a sudden. She was in bangor at the time.Rick P.,seems to be afraid of the girls,seems he doesn't listen when you tell him something.Maybe he is related to them,i don't know. Jeff castonguay is cool,ingrid and louise,john h in lincoln,twila and rick,brokers,the tall guy in bangor with the pony tail,he's a nice guy and tells it like it is,i could have worked with all of these people.THe two mi'lls,and joanne ,dispatches,I just could not win them over. My stepson is at Hartt out of sumter,he likes it alot,i got him there,Sumter is run alot smoother than the others from what i have been told. Eric runs a great show there,alot of drivers have told me that. My wife is 67 today and i told Hartt dispatch that her eyes are just about gone,she has diabetes and had alot of lasic treatment,only made it worse.I need 3000 a week or it is not worth being out there at 34 a mile.Those short trips on the way back to home were killing me,especially while my wife sets at home not able to drive or go out.Two of my boys drive,one hauls logs and chips locally,one drives for Pep out of Gardiner,been there over 6 years.One is a foreman at newport in a fabrication plant,he is a very serious bodybuilder that competes in me,ma,and nh. They all work alot of hours and wives are busy etc,it gets real lonely for my wife.I am looking locally right now,but have other offers from other companies but have to think which to try.Good luck to you,I liked Hartt but rick p,would not give me a raise and promised me one,and Jeff c,talked to him to get me from32 to 34,then rick said remind me in a couple of months,I did three months later and still no raise.I am a !st infrantry vietnam vet,he is a nam vet too,but he never gave me the respect that I gave him,Like he thinks he is better than I,I would like to see him stay with me in anything,trucking,boxing or anything,he just walks around and smiles. I never could understand his personality to his job as human service person. When I would see some former drivers they would bring his name up,boy,he was something else,etc. You can't say anything negative or it will come back and sting you if you are still working there.I know mi would flirt with the young drivers and the older ones' like me were just there,plus some younger lease purchase drivers had to switch dispatchers or go on company trucks. Maybe she has changed for the better,new boyfriend is a nice guy I am told.Hey,good luck out there.I will miss Ed that works at night at bangor and mechanics at bangor,todd and all those guys,they always did a great job for me.I had planned on staying there till april of next year then lease purchase an older truck and work local for Billy there. Would not need alot next year as I will be 62 and could manage then.Oh well,life has its twists and turns,that is why i live reasonably and can afford to jump if I have to. I will always survive and work my best for anyone that takes care of me and my family,the others can still keep looking for a good driver,I don't care much anymore.Good luck and keep trucking.

10. buck and a half

Aug 11, 2006
    madison,me
    My stepson just quit Hartt this week. no problems with Eric out of South carolina though. the maine terminals at auburn and bangor were messing his weekends up,not willing to get him home as promised on weekends. Same dispatchers that I had a problem with also,They lost another safe driver again. Just like I started,things are fine for the first 6 months then they throw you away and pea you off to quit when you don't want to stay out doing the short regional runs that those drivers get paid 40 cs per mile plus,you get 34 a mile. It's too bad as Billy Hart seems to be a good person that owns the company. I think they try to discourage you from being a company driver to a lease purchase driver,they are doing really badly according to those drivers I have talked to.

11. buck and a half

Aug 11, 2006
    madison,me
    After my stepson quit hartt and ran a local job for awhile,he caled Eric at Sumter SC yard and Eric wanted to give his job back to him.He has been back for quite awhile now and getting home most weekends to Florida where he lives.He is still planning on relocating to maine soon to be closer to his mother and I.Just wanted to be fair about Hartt.I have been told that Michelle is transferring to Sumter,as her boyfriend mechanic is transferring there also.Not everybody has a problem with her and Hartt,just some of us,I guess.It is still going on today as I came home from Carlisle,Pa.,monday am and was listening to two hartt drivers,complaing of the same michelle dispatcher I had,I just had to ask them which michelle as there are two,one is better than the other,I am told.I have been off Truckers report for awhile,I needed a break and was all trucked out.Still running the road,next year I will be 62 and in april will retire to part time and get some of my ssi before I die.Seems alot of friends and family are dropping too early and I want to enjoy fishing and hunting that I gave up years ago with not enough time off to enjoy it.I love riding my motorcycle too.God bless all of you,just trying to catch up on the news.I will be voting for Obama unless something crazy comes up.If you don't make over 100,000 a year,I would vote for Obama.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.