Has anyone been through Conways Student Driver Program and do you recommend it?

Discussion in 'Con-Way' started by Nightwind8830, May 13, 2014.

1. Nightwind8830

Nightwind8830 Medium Load Member

Jul 13, 2013
    Chicago,IL
    Has anyone gone through Conways student driving program? I applied to the Des Plaines location hoping to do LTL. An hr rep recommended that I apply for the student driving program since I just got my CDL and have no experience. I know you'd need to sign a contract agreeing to stay a year after training is completed. Are the benefits and pay decent with Conway?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ryan0789M

Ryan0789M Bobtail Member

Nov 25, 2013
    I graduated over 3 years ago from the program in ST. Louis. I don't know how many good runs there are out of XDP. Money is good but as of right now it takes 5 years to get to top pay. Running linehaul pays the most but being up there near Chicago, you are going to have a lot of small runs and be working a lot on the dock. I'm pretty sure Old Dominion has a drivers program as well. I would check them out before going to work at conway. Find some drivers who work there and ask them about it before you decide to start there or not. Here in St. Louis alone, we have had 10 guys quit so far this year because of how Conway is treating everyone and eliminating our CDL dock positions and putting in non cdl part timers. So basically all the CDL dock workers are getting pushing into the actual driver positions and pushing everyone down the list... in my case around 15 driver positions i'll be dropping. I'll make 80k this year running linehaul and still have a few more raises to go before top scale. Money is great but that is about it. I'm 25 now and have 3+ years experience now with my cdl. That is one good thing Conway has done for me. Many of the guys going through the program here only have plans to stay through their contract and then leave for a different job. Benefits suck but money is good. Good luck.

paul_4lp and Nightwind8830 Thank this.
  4. Nightwind8830

Jul 13, 2013
    Chicago,IL
    ####. I hope I'll be bringing in 80,000k/yr one day.Good for you!!! I chose to go with Roehl due to their training program for new CDL drivers, I think it'll work out well, and after I get that year of experience I can start applying locally. From what Conway HR told me, they "score" each application based on who is most and least qualified. i.e dock/forklift experience,previous driving experience,ect. This makes complete sense, and I can tell you that coming from an office background,I do not have any experience.

5. jdoe2786

jdoe2786 Bobtail Member

May 19, 2014
    Good info! Thanks!

6. Ryan0789M

Ryan0789M Bobtail Member

Nov 25, 2013
    It's good that you got on with another company that is offering you training for your cdl. It takes a long time to get an early start time at Conway because of our next day service freight doesn't get back to certain terminals until 8-10am so most of our city guys start at 10am. Good luck with your new job. Hope you can get a decent start time so you can have a life outside of work!

Nightwind8830 Thanks this.
  7. Nightwind8830

Jul 13, 2013
    Chicago,IL
    Thank youyou.I hope it'll work out,we'll see over the summer. A start is a start you know :)

8. Lux Prometheus

Lux Prometheus Heavy Load Member

Oct 28, 2013
    San Venganza, Tx
    I was reading on their site that a person who wants training as a driver has to work.. 90 days(?) on their docks first before getting consideration??

9. Nightwind8830

Jul 13, 2013
    Chicago,IL
    the HR rep says its based off seniority, I'd give them a call for details

10. Lux Prometheus

Lux Prometheus Heavy Load Member

Oct 28, 2013
    San Venganza, Tx
    In other words, "shlep freight on the docks until they decide you've 'earned'a spot..." which could take even more than 12 weeks... :(

11. Nightwind8830

Jul 13, 2013
    Chicago,IL
    I was told you're not full time but on call, mostly dock work until you have some number of people under you in seniority. OTR sounded a bit more appealing to me due to the thorough training and travel,although there is no comparison pay wise.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.