Has anyone done Schneider...

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by IAM KING, Feb 7, 2017.

1. SingingWolf

SingingWolf Heavy Load Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Steubenville, OH
    I went straight to orientation after school. I don't know how this works though it's probably very similar to what I went through in Indianapolis the first day is going through another Dot physical as well as a job specific physical. This will include lifting a box with weights to different heights stepping up and down like you're climbing in and out of a truck climbing onto a platform like you're climbing into the trailer etcetera. After that it's all kind of a jumble as to what happens in week 1 and what happens in week 3. You'll go through a bunch of logs stuff as well as safe driving techniques benefits packages and company policy. You also do a lot of backing and slow Maneuvers on the yard and driving around town.

Week 2 will be with the trainer and your experience will vary based on who your trainer is where your trainer is and whether you are alone with your trainer or if there is another driver there as well. My Week with the trainer was very easy in part because there were two of us with the trainer and in part because our trainer had a specific dedicated run that covered about 333 miles a day. We would park the truck at the truck stop for the night and go back to the hotel. We were usually done by 2 or 3 o'clock in the afternoon.

All in all orientation is relatively easy as long as you pay attention to what they are telling you and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Rocknroller4 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TurtlesLikeI

TurtlesLikeI Light Load Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Nevada
    Schneider offers a refresher course on their dime through a third party company. I'm not sure if there's others but for me it was Ranger College in the DFW area. They have three trucks, all 10 speeds, typical beaten up school trucks that serve their purpose. Tuition, transportation and motel are paid for. The motel provides breakfast. My room was badly infested with roaches and probably bed bugs too considering all the bites I got. 90 day contract is required.

milehunter43 and Rocknroller4 Thank this.
  4. Rocknroller4

Rocknroller4 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2015
    Well that's nice to know. Are there other motels in the area? Maybe if I do it I can rent my own room. Did they have to room you up with someone else? Not sure if I should do just a four hour refresher here or take Schneider's offer up for their 4 day course at Ranger college. I'd be going to the same place.

5. Rocknroller4

Rocknroller4 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2015
    Was that plenty of training with another student in the truck as well? Can't imagine how you all slept.

6. TurtlesLikeI

Oct 13, 2015
    Nevada
    There's other motels nearby but you'd have to talk to Gary from Ranger College about that because he and the other instructor come and pick everyone up at that specific motel every morning, not sure how they'd like an additional stop (assuming you don't bring your own vehicle). The refresher course and orientation motels will both be double occupancy if your roommate shows up.

I wouldn't worry too much about the motel. I doubt the bug problems are in every room, it's only a few days and the breakfast is pretty good. Definitely keep your luggage off the floor though.

7. SingingWolf

Sep 14, 2016
    Steubenville, OH
    If there are 3 people to a truck, I.e. 1 trainer and 2 students then hotel rooms are ordered. They won't "sleep" 3 people to a truck. And they can't run it like a team because there is only 1 trainer to supervise.

8. SingingWolf

Sep 14, 2016
    Steubenville, OH
    Also meant to say that for ME it was enough....or at least CLOSE enough. Your experience may vary.

9. TexasPhoenix

TexasPhoenix Medium Load Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    How long is too long being off the road before they require the refresher course?

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Not me, but a refresher course is literally find where you are rusted, then proceed to break that rust and treat with new information on changes of law, logs etc since the last time you ran.

If I got sent to a refresher, I will make the most out of it. But give me about 2 hours alone with a semi, I have alot of rust to sort with them.

11. TurtlesLikeI

Oct 13, 2015
    Nevada
    About a week later I can say 100% guaranteed based on bite patterns and past experiences that the motel they stick you in for the Dallas refresher has bed bugs. I'm extremely sensitive and allergic to the numbing agent they inject in you before sucking your blood, so the bites themselves may not bother you (you may not even react), but do be extremely careful about bringing them home with you. As someone who was literally chased out of an apartment because of them, you don't want to deal with an infestation mentally or financially. Keep your luggage and items elevated and as sealed as possible.

Just a heads up.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.