Hate the rate

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Veteran driver, Jun 11, 2016.

1. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    It was a simple question as stated the reason above.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    Sounds like a vicious cycle: you don't get premium rates, so you have to keep working for average/below average rates and therefore can't wait around and therefore miss loads that pay a premium, if you could have gotten them.

What are you willing to do to change that?

sliver, spyder7723 and Veteran driver Thank this.
  4. Veteran driver

Veteran driver Medium Load Member

Aug 24, 2010
    De Moines. IA
    Oh okay. Yeah that's how I roll. Been driving almost 30 years so this is my life now

HalpinUout Thanks this.
  5. Veteran driver

Veteran driver Medium Load Member

Aug 24, 2010
    De Moines. IA
    We did real good in 2014. The market was a lot better. But right now sheesh. I was just wondering if anyone else is seeing the market the way I'm seeing it

6. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    I calculate my target rate by figuring my break even, add 8% to that to account for deadhead, and I add .15 cpm to that as a target profit. If I could make more than .15 cpm profit, great, but don't expect huge profits in trucking. Many of the large carriers are only running 5-8% profit margins.

7. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    If you pull a van ATL market has been kind of hot the past few weeks. No it is nowhere near as good as 2014 or 2013, etc. You have to roll the dice and be willing to wait until 5pm or later to book. Rates don't start rising until late around 16:00 or so. It is a risk to end up with nothing for sure, and there's a lot of sketchy dodgy people hawking that late leftover freight, but for now that is where the real money is - holding out for late afternoon bookings. Mostly cheap stuff is being pushed all day you have to sift thru a lot of junk as always.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  8. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    So you sit all day not sleeping waiting for a hot load, then you drive all night, to be tired in the morning and hoping to get another hot load.
    Seems like it's hard to do this on a regular basis. How much do u gross per week and on how many miles if u don't mind me asking?

9. BoostedTeg

BoostedTeg Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Boise ID
    Arizona is good now with a reefer 3 bucks a mile going to the Midwest.

10. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    If you want the money now you book late. You sleep around that. Sometimes pre-booking is where the money is. You have to roll with what works. I don't discuss rates and gross revenues anymore in here. It's nobody's business but mine.

11. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl

Smart man. Only two things can happen when discussing rates. 1 You get undercut. Or 2. All the guys that can't figure out how to make money start a bunch of drama

haycarter and rollin coal Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.