Hauling 7 galvanized coils?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by angrytrans, Oct 21, 2018.

1. angrytrans

angrytrans Light Load Member

Feb 18, 2018
    Woodsfield,OH

JonJon78 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. angrytrans

Feb 18, 2018
    Woodsfield,OH
    I thought it was one rack for every 10,000 lbs? I mean common sense says at least two just to make it stable but I thought I read that as a rule on the fmcsa site. I could be wrong and that may be just a guide someone says they go by

4. angrytrans

Feb 18, 2018
    Woodsfield,OH
    Yeah after I get back into my truck, it’s getting a inframe now, I’m gonna buy some more racks and odds and end stuff like that which most people don’t carry excess of. I once got almost double market rate because I can scale 51000 if I stay at half tanks. Yeah it’s work on my part but making two loads into one made them happy saved them money and made more for me. I hate running heavy but I’ll do it when it pays.

5. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    Depending on where your coming from you'll have Tarp Stop locations within reach if you need to buy some more racks or dunnage...

They have locations in Perrysburg, Ohio. Gary, Indiana. And up in Taylor, Michigan...

4mer trucker and angrytrans Thank this.
  6. angrytrans

Feb 18, 2018
    Woodsfield,OH
    I’m sitting about 20 minutes away right now and I’m in a friends truck not mine. I’ll show up before they open and hopefully get a answer and if need be I’ll go make a run where I need to. Only down side to running a narrowed truck while yours is in the shop.

JonJon78 Thanks this.
  7. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    I guess my point was, that little coils are usually skidded. I’m betting you’ll be good. If not ask them there what they got? Sometimes they have a few racks around?

SAR, adayrider and angrytrans Thank this.
  8. angrytrans

Feb 18, 2018
    Woodsfield,OH
    Ok thanks I appreciate the info.

9. adayrider

adayrider Road Train Member

May 7, 2018
    You read it right 1 for every 10k. Minimum of 2 racks. But if absolutely had to, I have used just 1 rack on such a small coil. Front 2 get 2 racks each and back get 2 each then pick 2 in the middle to skimp on.
    I would definitely stop and buy a couple if I had a chance. I've taken a load and gotten there and only have 5 sets of racks and load was 6 coils.
    Tug is probably right they will be skidded, but I did just a load that was 1 coil 11k and 5 6500k couple weeks ago.

Bean Jr. and angrytrans Thank this.
  10. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    If they are smooth, I'd run racks on all of them, but if you are desperate, maybe run racks for the front and back ones, then setup a couple pieces of dunnage as nail boards to keep them from sliding sideways then chain/strap them together like slinkies?

I can't see the shipper being happy with chains though, but I'd say they would be small enough to be skidded eye-to-the-sky.

Bean Jr., SAR and angrytrans Thank this.
  11. angrytrans

Feb 18, 2018
    Woodsfield,OH
    I thought so but you know what they say about assuming....I don’t want to lose the load because it’s my carriers direct customer and it pays well so if I have to eat some fuel and pick them up in the am I will.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.