hauling bulk DEF

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by RockinChair, May 8, 2022.

1. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    I think I'd like to try hauling bulk DEF to truck stops. Does anyone know who hauls it, other than Gemini and Pilot Flying J?

Thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    Well, I just gotta ask....what's wrong with Gemini--or Pilot/Flying J?

You'll likely get better responses if we know approx where you live, too.

--Lual

4. RockinChair

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    I'd be happy to work for either one of them, but neither company has openings down here in South Texas very often.

In fact, I don't even remember the last time Loves had an opening. PFJ's last opening was last November, I applied but never got an interview.

5. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    Ok, @RockinChair ....if you're in south Texas, then the "sparkling city by the sea" is apparently the Houston area.

To better help you--how much CDL driving experience do you have?

How much (if any) of that is hazmat tanker?

How much of it is tanker--period?

The DEF hauling ads that I've seen (thus far) are out 5 days--home 2 (rinse, and repeat). Are you ok with that?

Buc-ee's has locations near the Houston area (Angleton & Baytown, TX):

Home - Buc-ees

Have you looked into opportunities with them?

--Lual

6. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    Corpus Christi

7. RockinChair

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    @JoeyJunk is correct, I'm in Corpus.

I have over 20 years' driving experience, almost all of it tanker. The last 15 have been hazmat tanker (although DEF is non-haz), and the 6 years prior to that were hauling non-haz dry bulk tankers. I've been at my current employer over 8 years; I'm definitely not a job hopper.

I strongly prefer night shift, but will work days if needed.

You've seen ads? For what companies?

I am willing to stay out 5 days and be off for 2 (I would love to have a non-rotating schedule). Or if it's a home daily job I can move my RV to another city and stay in it during the work week.

I didn't know Buc-ee's (RB Stewart) hauled their own DEF, but I will definitely look into it. Thanks, @lual

8. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    @RockinChair, approx 20 years of experience with tanker duty? Wow--ver-ry cool!!! :cool::D:)

With that in mind, I would think you'd be a shoe-in with these people:

Service Area « Frontier Tank Lines

but of course I can't say for sure. They do DEF as part of their services.

Let us know what you learn from Buc-ee's; that may indeed be a better gig than Love's.

Also: here's a current (as of this writing, anyway) ad for a Pilot/Flying J DEF driver, with no specific location required--it might just be the ticket you've been looking for:

Class A CDL - DEF Driver (pilotflyingj.com)

Fill out the ap in the given link above--then follow it up by talking to a store manager, for the name & phone # of a higher manager who is also a decision maker.

Be aggressive. This will put you closer to the top of the "hire" pile.

Best of luck.....:thumbup:

--Lual

9. Jeffery Epstein

Jeffery Epstein Bobtail Member

Mar 19, 2020
    pilot def drivers will more than likely be working for their daughter company "saratoga"

or i saw recently a daughter company of saratoga called pro petroleum....but im pretty sure theyre all under the same dot number. man umbrella corps are strange lol

loves i think all use gemini trucks, ill ask next time i see them at the rack. now as far as TA/petro i have no clue, id imagine they just find who ever in the local market and contract with them like they do their fuel.

Ill keep this in mind and ask one of our def drivers next time i bump into one, but it is rare that i see them so no idea next time i see one.

10. jdimes

jdimes Medium Load Member

Apr 22, 2011
    somewhere, usa
    What ever happened to the company outta Utah called Certified Def I used to see their trucks all the time, haven’t seen any in quite awhile?

11. RockinChair

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    I'm guessing they went out of business because I got no results for them in SAFER and their website is dark. In fact, the only thing I found for them was this blog from 2015.
    Certified DEF LLC

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.