Hauling grain

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by neffalaska, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Big.D

Big.D Bobtail Member

Nov 9, 2015
    Eastern iowa
    So whats wrong with foltz??

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wheeler113

wheeler113 Bobtail Member

Aug 14, 2010
    east stroudsburg pa
    I 'm in north east PA trying to find out more info on gain hauling here and if it's better to get a hopper or stick to a end dump.

4. wheeler113

Aug 14, 2010
    east stroudsburg pa
    only thing I've known about foltz is they use volvo's I spoke to one of the owners there and he seem like descent person over the phone. He was straight out with me told me. I was too far for him to hire me cause I'm in the Poconos Mt of PA. I really want a hopper trailer just to do something different. Don't want to sit in spend half the day in a food warehouse or flatbed. don't even want to get started about rail container that was my last job never do that again.

5. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    the months when their not harvesting, dude come on i thought all truck drivers had a bit of common sense?

6. wheeler113

Aug 14, 2010
    east stroudsburg pa
    I'm sorry but are you referring to my comment about hoppers.

7. 379exhd

379exhd Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell
    You may want to rethink sitting I sat for 4.5 hours today waiting to dump at the mill and have sat for 2.5 hours minimum the last 2 days at one elevator grain hauling isn't the glamor most freight haulers think it is. You'll sit a lot more than you think you will.

Uh huh because the only time grain moves is during harvest. It's never sold or traded right? Don't hurl an insult about common sense when you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

It's usually slow from about the end of December to middle of march depends on what the market does.

scottlav46 and Bigrayon Thank this.
  8. wheeler113

Aug 14, 2010
    east stroudsburg pa
    I really appreciate all the information and value your honest opinion thank you. Going with my gut only to give my self more option with the end dump.

9. 379exhd

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell
    No worries that's what I'm here for hopefully I wasn't too offensive I'm brutally honest guess that's why most people don't like me. I have never pulled an end dump before can't be of much help but you can haul just about anything in an end dump just like a hopper.

Only difference is they're a little more specialized and of course when you dump you can lay one over if you roll a hopper when you're dumping there better have been a tornado lmfao.

Good luck with the new adventure if it's any consolation to you on your decision on Monday night my hopper is getting parked and I'm off for orientation to pull a tank. The hopper market sucks right now hasn't gotten any better and I'm done with it for a while between the 3 hour lines piss pore rates and no detention I've had enough and it's time to see what else I can do for a while. Good luck I wish you the best

ChicagoJohn and blade Thank this.
  10. blade

blade Heavy Load Member

Jan 30, 2009
    Some where, Mo
    @379exhd don't be apologizing if you hurt someone's feelings for honesty they should have stayed on the tit longer!!! Just curious who are you going to go pull a tank for??

11. 379exhd

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell
    It's in my nature I'm a nice ####### I guess lol. As for the question about yanking a tank I've always wanted to pull a tank and give it a shot now what got me serious about pulling a tank is in the past 3 months I've run to Omaha every day Monday through Friday on a good day I put 220 miles on the truck and depending on which elevator I got to max I gross $560 on that 220 miles. Now half those miles are MT but I'm just tired of it. $560 gross isn't going to pay the bills if I could turn 3 loads or get a 3rd load loaded and sleep at the elevator I'd be a lot happier but like I said that's a good day.

Take Friday for instance perfect example I loaded at 730 I was the first truck of the day to take wheat up to the a mill in Omaha. I got up to the a mill at 9 pulled right up to the probe had a truck on the pit I would have been out of there by 930. They asked what my pro was and I said 11.3 they rejected it on the spot didn't have room for 11.3. I told them a call would have been nice and they had already called the elevator I left from and told them they weren't taking pro less than 11.5. I drove 5 blocks over to west plains and SAT there till 115 waiting to dump.

They sent 11 trucks from Lincoln to a mill Monday. All 11 got rejected we were all rather pissed and nobody got paid detention. Last Friday was the same story on we went to b mill and didn't get rejected. I pulled into b mill at 930 they were broke down I called the customer and offered to take the load to west plains. I was told to stay at b mill with my other truck that got there at 9. I left Omaha at 515 my other truck left Omaha at 430. I was just a little bit pissed.

But that's about the only thing moving right now that pays worth a ####. Market sucks and everybody is out to cut everybody's throat just to keep the truck moving. So I figure I can park my grain trailer and give this tanker work a shot I can't do any worse under a tank than I'm doing with my grain trailer right now.

I look at it as a much needed long overdue vacation lol. Hopefully the grass will be a little greener on the other side.

ChicagoJohn Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.