Hauling Hazmat

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by BigNorm4Life, May 2, 2017.

1. mnmover

mnmover Road Train Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Lichfield MN
    The 1001 lbs threshold is now 2205 of a single hazmat commodity.then you need a specific placcard that matches the commodity. Do not smoke while carrying flammables or oxidizers or explosives. Certain items cannot be transported together unless your company has a waiver from fmcsa. Like no poisonous gas and flammables together. No foodstuffs transported with any kind of poison. Corrosives and liquid oxidizers transported together should be separated and 6 inches off the floor so if one leaks, it cannot react with the other. Look at the response book you must have, all loading haz mat commodities is covered. Just because you have a haz mat endorsement on your license, the carrier must also have the hazmat insurance and training etc, or it is breaking the rules.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Very important to read all signs.Some cities like indianapololis require haxmat haulers to take the bypass and don't enter any tunnels that could result in a huge fine up to ten thousand.Your company probably has hazmat briefing meaning you call them after your loaded and you have the bills in hand.They'll needsome infoand they'll tell youthe laws.Shipper will give you the placards and its best to ask them for a couple extra placards in case one falls off while driving.Always check when you stop to make sure all placards are still on trailer.

LoneCowboy and BigNorm4Life Thank this.
  4. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Sucks trying to placard a container. I bet with "budget cuts" you'd be lucky to get 4 placards out of these outfits. Many (all) times when I had Haz on a container, I'd stop just outside the rail yard, quick look around for the fuzz, and put them on there. Stupid rail, wouldn't accept the can if it wasn't placarded, but picking up a Haz from the rail was a different story.:dontknow:

5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Not necessarily. It's still legal to do as long as what's displayed is still representative of the cargo.

For example, there's nothing wrong with choosing to forgo a "dangerous" placard in favor of the individual classes if you're carrying two.

6. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Hi Mack, our compliance officer( shudder) told us, the worst, most universal placard you could put on a trailer, was "Dangerous". That always worried me, as putting "Dangerous" on a trailer would be like walking around with your zipper open.:eek:

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    That's an interesting way to put it. :laughing6:

Those do tend to attract the attention of law enforcement because they are often misapplied.

201 Thanks this.
  8. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Placarded or not. If your pulling a tanker you had better have a copy of the last contained or a current washout slip.

9. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    And just before you pull onto the scales hit the brakes real hard to get the load surging. Usually they will wave you thru instead of waiting for things to settle down.:)

BigNorm4Life and Lepton1 Thank this.
  10. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I can imagine.I've never hauled containers but many van hazmat loads.

201 Thanks this.
  11. HD5

HD5 Bobtail Member

May 27, 2014
    Canyon lake, Texas
    Don't forget inter trip inspection. Every 150 or 3 hrs.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.