Hauling medium sized excavators

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by kansasFed55, Feb 22, 2017.

1. kansasFed55

kansasFed55 Bobtail Member

Feb 22, 2017
    Hey guys,

Mainly dealt with with SU's fresh out of high school and some standard 18 work. My Pa and I never really did more than the occasional 40k load, but a buddy of his who lives in Texas has been buying older CAT excavators and trying to resell them overseas. Bit too smart if you ask me, but he reached out to me and said if I could ahold of a decent enough rig he'd hire me on as their only driver. He mainly does the 326s and 330s so nothing over 80k loads. What kind of set-up should/can I get to make something like this work? (I'm only 24 so cheap is good) I've done some research but hearing what guys have done in the past would help so much. Some example load dimensions might be length: 36 1/2 ft, width from T2T: 11 ft, height: 11"8', weight: 74,300 lbs. Due to the height and length is a extendable rgn all that would work?

Thanks,
    G

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. haulhand

haulhand Road Train Member

If all your going to haul is hoes there's no need for a stretch. I'd look at a decent 45-55 ton three axle RGN but be sure it has a boom trough 24 feet of well is plenty but 26 is better and depending on the state you can probably be by with just a three axle tractor. This isn't a cheap endeavor and what ever you decide to buy be sure and craw under it and seee how bad the main beams have been drug.

4. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Let's start with what kind of tractor you have. What is it and specs? Personally I would prefer a seven axle setup but they are done on 6.

kansasFed55, Oxbow and passingthru69 Thank this.
  5. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

I know where a nice Hardly run Western Star 4 axle is that will be available first part of March. Clean one owner. Non Smoker. Very low miles, as driver doesn't like to go east of the Mississippi river much. Roof mount air Honda generator
    Don't think it's been ever driven past 70 mph

6. Rontonio

Rontonio Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2009
    70?????? My ### 70!

Never been over 65 more like it. Only problem is truck gets queasy when it sees AR.

noluck, snowman_w900, RGN and 7 others Thank this.
  7. kansasFed55

Feb 22, 2017
    Thanks that definitely helps. Sounds like you and my Dad think alike about the main beams thats the first thing he said to me. To cnsper I've been using the family's '06 379 Peter, but if I branch out I'll have to finance my own. A 7 axle set-up would be ideal, but not sure if best unless not having a stretch on 6 isn't worth the risk. Also how should I approach rate for this? I know sometimes $100/axle isn't always doable. Pa's friend gave me that lane example, said his buyer is in CT going to baltimore port. I think it was about a 300 mi trip? For that kind of weight, and 4 state permits i believe it was what rate should i charge? Hes a family friend so I don't want to be greedy, but something fair for both of us. Being used to less than $2 a mile im kind of not sure. Seems like most guys never do less than $5/mile for big haul, but this heavy and on 6 or 7 axles i should get more no?

8. kansasFed55

Feb 22, 2017
    phone # and name of seller? Not sure if I have enough up front, but have good credit

9. haulhand

haulhand Road Train Member

The seller is @Rontonio send him a message but you'd better hurry as he is trading it in about a week.

10. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    I can't help on the rate because I don't deal in that so I'll leave it alone. I'm not sure the states your planning on running in but like @cnsper said a 7 would probably be best I'm not sure you could scale a 330 in some states on 6, some you can but like I said I'm not sure where your running. As far as the stretch goes unless you have specific freight in mind forget about that you don't need it, it just makes you unnecessarily heavy and costs more. You must have looked up the length because you posted 36 1/2 feet, but an excavator doesn't require that much deck, the boom sets over your rear bridge.

I'm guessing you've never hauled anything like this, good luck.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  11. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    No idea how rates are back there. You have to be very careful. You don't want to charge your friend full rate and he is probably looking for a deal. Now you buy this setup, what happens when his market craps out?

You could have your basket of eggs scrambled real easy. Too many ifs in this deal. What happens when he decides you charge too much or that he buys a 336?

If he is a good friend then the answer is no. If he is more of an acquaintance then maybe. The old saying about never mixing friends and family with business is true.

xsetra, villageidiot, MJ1657 and 6 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.