Hauling Produce

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by sjmtransinc, Jun 9, 2017.

1. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    I agree. We know they are in short supply.

I have a good feeling that @boredsocial is on the "good list"...

noluck Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jbatmick

jbatmick Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    hastings, Fl
    What you need is a Produce Blue Book . This book, issued every 6 months ( I think ) gives all the produce shippers,receivers, truckers, farmers,that deal in produce, and shows their credit scores, business ratings, receiving / shipping hours , etc.Also shows what product is being shipped from different areas during their seasons.
    The produce world is very different from other trucking types. You can be eaten alive and go broke, or make a decent rate for all the extra hassle on some loads.

- Produce Blue Book

4. noluck

noluck Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2011
    greenville,sc
    I believe the usda puts out that blue book. I hated produce myself. I think most guys here on the flatbed side did. That's why we went to open deck.

DDlighttruck, passingthru69 and Hurst Thank this.
  5. noluck

noluck Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2011
    greenville,sc
    The only thing I see loaded on a flat is onions, green beans, oranges, and tomatoes. The last three only after they have put sides, cages or tubs on. Oh and apples. I guess since you're in nc talk with Apple farms in western nc. If on the eastern shore, green beans. But they have started moving already this year.

6. jbatmick

jbatmick Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    hastings, Fl
    No it is published by a private company, expensive but worth it. They also advise you on USDA rules, and will arbitrate disputes.

7. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    As I've always said...

Every negotiation favors the better informed....and information is power...

And we all know how much "information" truckers gather while holding on to a steering...lol

Thank you @jbatmick for that blue book link.

gsmmoline, jbatmick and noluck Thank this.
  8. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    I've never hauled produce: or much but open deck really. However, the places I go that primarily service those types of industries ... The interaction with the people there makes me unlikely to try it. They do tend to change their tune kinda quick when they find out why I'm there: but that's only bc of WHY I'm there not who I am.

9. noluck

noluck Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2011
    greenville,sc
    We gather a lot. Just most of it is mis information.

10. noluck

noluck Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2011
    greenville,sc
    Yep, they act like you're an inconvenience, then it's like "oh you got what, yeah pull over there and we'll be right out"

11. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I ran reefer for a year as a company driver. Knowing what I went through as a driver,.. I couldnt imagine the head aches involved as an O/O.

Open deck is a lot easier and less drama for me.

I read guys crying about brokers all the time. Yet they continue to take the same #### loads for the same #### rates. Thats like smashing your finger with a hammer and wondering why it continues to hurt. Do something different,.. figure out where the money is and how to negotiate it.

Hurst

nax and LoudOne Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.