Hauling Tankers

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Mr. EastCoast, Aug 9, 2021.

1. Mr. EastCoast

Mr. EastCoast Light Load Member

Aug 26, 2020
    I am getting tired of hauling dry vans. I always wanted to get into tankers but don’t really know much about the job. Can you guys give me some Info please. I would really like to get into hauling fuel

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. King Michael

King Michael Light Load Member

Nov 20, 2018
    Good tanker companies require minimum 2 years OTR experience.
    Best tanker companies require 1 to 2 years tanker experience.
    Hauling fuel is a pain in the rear.
    Chemical tankers are the best.

Stay away from Quality Carriers, they were a good company years ago before they went public with their stock.
    Heniff was OK, but they went down hill fast after buying out Miller Transporters
    Altom is small company, hauls fuel, iSO containers, and chemicals.
    AL Warren Oil is the parent company and oil and fuel division.

Mr. EastCoast Thanks this.
  4. 379exhd

379exhd Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell
    Curiosity kills the cat but you have me wondering so I'll ask as to why you say this.

Pamela1990 Thanks this.
  5. TNSquire

TNSquire Medium Load Member

Oct 13, 2016
    Decatur, TN
    As a gas hauler I'll disagree on it being a pain in the behind.
    I love what I do, each day is different, and I'm home in my bed every night.
    Pay is very good, I work for a great company, and they take real good care of me.
    The work is pretty easy... load per dispatch, transport to client location, or the correct product into the correct tank, ensure you have space for it to fit before pulling the handle, get BOL signed, say thank you, motor on down the road for the next one.
    I can load a full trailer in as little as 16 minutes, depending on what's going in.
    Delivery 18 to 45 minutes, again dependent on what is going into the tanks.
    Full load of regular, 5 hole trailer, single drop, 45 minutes to deliver.
    Regular, premium, diesel deliver, double regular drops, single diesel and single premium, double vapor recovery lines, 20 minutes to put it all in the ground.
    Hardest part is being mindful of getting the correct product into the correct hole.
    Cross drops makes for a really bad day for everyone... especially when you put diesel in the gas and vice-versa. Then, a pump truck has to come pump it all out, and a second truck has to refill those tanks.... at your company expense....
    Easy 25k bill....

wis bang and HiramKingWilliams Thank this.
  6. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    I do both chemical and fuel, mostly fuel. And it’s all aviation fuel. Airports, FBO’s and even some crop duster operations.
    Easy in and out, friendly people and the FBO’s normally have good looking girls to see. Winning.

7. King Michael

Nov 20, 2018
    Unless you like driving into cities / towns and squeezing into gas stations, interacting with more 4 wheelers (as you try to pull into a gas station and they are trying to get out), is what causes me to say it's a pain.
    Standing outside waiting while the fuel drops... All types of weather.... and so on....
    Just think it through before you jump in.

8. ErieMcDreary

ErieMcDreary Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2016
    Erie PA
    Different strokes for different folks!
    Not everyone has the same wants/ needs.
    I haul fuel, yeah sometimes 4 wheelers, sometimes other truckers who SHOULD know better, make life difficult, but still WAAAY better than dealing with grocery warehouses!!!
    Usually biggest problems are at 4pm or so when everyone is fueling up on the way home.
    Dress for the weather. I control loading and unloading, no waiting on some lazy fork lift driver!
    Pretty good job, make good money, home every day.
    Although I don't think I would want to do it in a large city.

Pamela1990 Thanks this.
  9. Pamela1990

Pamela1990 Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2021
    B.C. Canada
    I have hauled a lot of fuel, and it isn't a pain in the ###, its actually wonderful to haul compared to most things.

10. King Michael

Nov 20, 2018
    I haul a chemical tanker. I don't wait on lazy fork lift drivers, or shippers who schedule 50 trucks for the same appointment time.

11. Pamela1990

Pamela1990 Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2021
    B.C. Canada

Tanker is great.
    Give me logs, or tanker, and I'm happy. Six or eight axles, it doesn't matter to me.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.