Have I done the impossible?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by POC, Jan 7, 2012.

1. POC

POC Bobtail Member

Aug 7, 2011
    NC
    I finished driving school this past August and was hired by a major ltl company the same day as graduation. This is my first driving job. I was told many times I'd never get hired by an ltl company and work local right off the bat. Lucky for me, those folks were wrong. Things are going great and I couldn't be much happier. When I tell other drivers my story, they can't believe it. Is it really that rare for a new driver to get such a job?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Foust

Foust Light Load Member

Aug 3, 2011
    Must not be impossible, but it is awesome!

Red Hot Mess Thanks this.
  4. rocknsand

rocknsand Medium Load Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Tonganoxie, KS
    That crap that you have to go OTR with a BFI company is just BS. I have yet to sleep in a truck and don't plan to any time soon. I have worked with quite a few guys that never drove OTR.
    It may very well depend on the location you live and the trucking industry in that area. And you may have to start out in a straight truck, like concrete, lumber, or dump to get big truck experience.
    It can be done, and yeah, maybe you have to be a bit lucky.

cj8, double_r and Female Driver Thank this.
  5. CommDriver

CommDriver Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Not surprised. This way they can mold and make you before you get stuck in your ways.

double_r Thanks this.
  6. double_r

double_r Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh,PA
    Did you do the impossible? NO! I got my CDL in 1998, at the age of 23, no school involved(moving company I was working at trained me). I have ZERO OTR experience. I have regional experience from both the moving company I was trained at and the foodservice company I work for. I never sleep in a truck till I started with the foodservice company I am with now. And that was in 2003.

It is very possible to get hired right of trucking school by a local company. LTL is one area that does take new drivers. Knocking on doors works also.

7. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Not impossible at all. If fact, I'd have to say it is one of the biggest myths about trying to get into this line of work. As long as the big box truck companies can successfully convince people that have to go to their 2 or 3 week school in order to get a CDL, and that they'll never get a local driving job without a year's experience OTR, they will be able to continue tricking people into taking their crappy paying driving jobs under contract to stay for a year. Then, while you're struggling to make ends meet driving for pennies, you'll hear another myth about how local driving jobs just don't pay as much as driving OTR...and of course since you're barely scraping by financially driving OTR, you are convinced that you can't work locally.

It's actually a pretty good scam if your business model includes finding a large, pseudo-captive work force willing to work for next to nothing....

DrtyDiesel Thanks this.
  8. andy

andy Light Load Member

Oct 16, 2010
    MT
    Not impossible but you're lucky. And like someone above said, some bosses like the idea of being able to shape and mold you rather than get some old school guy who has seen it all and done it all twice and doesn't like to listen to anyone. We've had some pretty "qualified" people come through our door that we've passed on for that reason. AND we just hired a guy straight out of driving school. He knows how lucky he is too. So not impossible... just thank your lucky stars.

9. cj8

cj8 Light Load Member

Sep 11, 2006
    I never went OTR and I also drive local LTL. I wasn't hired straight out of school but after a few years driving a dump truck I got my shot.

For me the key was making a good resume. If a company see you have a nice resume, they know you're serious and that goes a long way with a lot of people.

10. pilottravel2002

pilottravel2002 Medium Load Member

May 25, 2011
    Tucson,az
    very true,.

Red Hot Mess Thanks this.
  11. vinsanity

vinsanity Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2009
    South Florida
    Depends on where you live. Try doing that in South Florida.

fortycalglock Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.